• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hydrogen Pick Up

Andreas Esser

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I was thinking about throwing away good old cars and researched a bit about fossil hydrogen. I would really love to here what you think about my thoughts.
thanks a lot

best hydrogen car.JPG

Last edited:
Well keep fooling yourself as no energy created by man is green. Even man himself creates waste these days considered not green. Other than that, yes hydrogen is the most common element is the universe so why that use the space ladder and start harvesting the pure stuff. I see no reason to even mess with the green stuff. But that's just my opinion.

The waste is in the hydrogen extraction process not so much in the burning of the final product. Any internal combustion engine will burn hydrogen with the right fuel system, and it doesn't require tens of thousands of dollars of engine management to do it. The largest obstacle has always been fuel storage of the compressed gas. You live in the airship capital of the world. It's not hard to find the real truth about hydrogen.

I thought GM experimented with a Hydrogen powered car and the explosive nature of the fuel cell was the big issue, especially in a accident.

Someone thinks they have profected that. It's not like EV batteries are any safer. Can't park them inside, hazardous materials after a crash and you had better park it on higher ground if there is a chance of it going under. How safe is that? And they want millions of those time booms on public streets.

Hindenburg.gif

That was before it was determined some materials and hydrogen don't mix well. Lots of testing was done after that happening almost 80 years ago.
Tell that to Nikki Lauder. :banghead:

It would be a lot cheaper converting my car to ethanol. I'm of the mindset that no matter my emissions, I really can't harm this planet, my footprint is negligible.

It would be a lot cheaper converting my car to ethanol. I'm of the mindset that no matter my emissions, I really can't harm this planet, my footprint is negligible.
You could run a fleet of poorly tuned diesel vehicle for your entire lifetime, and still not make one iota of difference compared to that of mining precious earth minerals to produce one single solitary EV battery pack.

I'm not going to turn this political....so I'll stop, there.

Wow, great idea. Is any conversion to the engine needed? Will a car run purely on Methanol? Is it available at fuel stations very often? Will there be carbon emissions?
Here we mix not more than 10 % of Ethanol to gasoline. How do you want to make Methanol in such quantities at home?
Hydrogen is so easy to make, if you have a lot of solar. And, yes the bottles are expensive and heavy. But they would fit on a Pick Up Truck to get maybe 200 km range.

Last edited:
Wow, great idea. Is any conversion to the engine needed? Will a car run purely on Methanol? Is it available at fuel stations very often? Will there be carbon emissions?
Here we mix not more than 10 % of Ethanol to gasoline. How do you want to make Methanol in such quantities at home?
Hydrogen is so easy to make, if you have a lot of solar. And, yes the bottles are expensive and heavy. But they would fit on a Pick Up Truck to get maybe 200 km range.
We already have vehicles designed to run on 85% ethanol, E85. It only gets about 70% for mileage compared to gasoline..I'm my old cars, I just need different jetting, you can get E85 metering blocks for a Holley 4150 style carb, and simply swap them in..

We have plants all over the country making this corn juice.

Hydrogen produced from electricity is currently only 4% of the total produced, natural gas, oil and coal are the main methods if producing hydrogen. So it's still in it's infancy. Solar is cute, but still not the answer vs conventional electricity generation methods.

200km range isn't that good, I'd really like to see the costs associated with the conversion and cost per mile for the hydrogen itself. How much would it cost for those 200km/125 miles? Diesel will take that truck much further, approximately three times further.

Got any analytics on this here hydrogen fuel?

Cool, thanks very interesting. it's been ages I've been in the states. Had no clue about E85. Is it cheaper than gasoline?
The injection system for hydrogen conversion costs 3500 € built in by a qualified company. the bottles including piping 200 each.
The reach is 1/3 compared to CNG. Worse than Diesel, truly.
The only charming thing is that you can fuel at home for free.
Than its green hydrogen.
I aint a corn farmer, you now ;)

Are many people interested in autonomous houses?
Do many people or small medium businesses have solar on their houses or workshops?
What's a normal travel distance for a passenger vehicle?
Do you think a home refueling station could be appreceated on the amercian market?
Is it the right name?

thanks man I really appreciate

Had no clue about E85. Is it cheaper than gasoline?
Yes, it's cheaper but I don't have a current price, I'll see if I can get one today.

The injection system for hydrogen conversion costs 3500 € built in by a qualified company. the bottles including piping 200 each.
For the $4,000 most people would probably be against it, since gasoline isn't hard to come by, and we all (generally speaking) make enough to fill our cars without having to cut back elsewhere.

The only charming thing is that you can fuel at home for free.
How is this done, and what's the cost to get a setup installed?

Are many people interested in autonomous houses?
Do many people or small medium businesses have solar on their houses or workshops?
No, and no. Solar hasn't caught on here, because we are lazy Americans, and the benefit isn't worth the upfront cost to most.

What's a normal travel distance for a passenger vehicle?
I live a few minutes away from my job, which is great. But if I want to go where there's things to do, I'm driving 25-35 miles one way. Out in the country where I live, people are used to driving an hour to a larger city for a better paying job. Same thing with people that live an hour south of the larger metropolitan areas.

I used to live 40 miles west of Minneapolis MN, and drove into a suburb to work. So I drove 8,000 miles to and from work each year. While at work, I'd look up car parts and other stuff to buy, and go drive wherever after D vildwork to get said parts. I drove 22,000 miles extra each year getting those parts, for a total of 30,000 miles a year. Not as a commercial driver, just for recreation. I've cut that number down a lot, but I'll drive across the country for a car. I just did it in April, getting my 1971 Monaco station wagon, and I'd do it again.

Here I am at Devil's Tower in Wyoming on the way home.

PXL_20220403_170845071.jpg

Some people may appreciate a home charging system, but moms and their SUVs like to get in and go. Some of us have d tached garages, mines 50-60 feet from my house, and my driveway is the opposite way from the garage. I'd have to have my car as far away as possible to park it, and use the hydrogen "charger".

I just don't see the need to switch from a perfectly accessible fuel that is in great supply, and will be for a long time, much longer than people realize, and seem to think it will be available. This planet laughs at us and all we think we are doing to it. We aren't doing anything, and all the "green" energy that isn't that green, is just a feel good for those who don't understand that the "climate change" garbage they are hand fed by news and politicians, is nothing more then an attempt to gain power and control over how we all live our lives. Think the people in Sudan are going to latch on to solar power anytime soon? Or the fisherman in the Philippines are going to rush out and buy electric powered trawlers? No, because neither is practical.

I like having the option to go solar at home, or someone to have an EV, but I don't like being forced to accept a technology I feel isn't where it needs to be, for affordability, and sustainability. Mining lithium is a terrible process that digs giant holes in the ground. If it's for coal, that process is deemed harmful to the planet. But if it's for a Tesla, then those same people claim it is for the benefit of mankind. Most consumers are uneducated fools, who buy what is pumped on nightly TV commercials.

Some really good ideas and thoughts here. I'm a bit more educated now, thanks! I make unfortunately my fuel use and pollution by recycling/repressing nearly everything. No Koenigsegg w all those little plastic cups, buying bulk to avoid single pk'ging. It takes extra effort but....I feel it's worth it!!

stupid auto spell! That should b, "make up 4 my fuel use by recycling/repurposing" No "Keurig" w all the k-cups. The amount of plastic we consume then dump in landfills is frightening!

Yes, it's cheaper but I don't have a current price, I'll see if I can get one today.

For the $4,000 most people would probably be against it, since gasoline isn't hard to come by, and we all (generally speaking) make enough to fill our cars without having to cut back elsewhere.

How is this done, and what's the cost to get a setup installed?

No, and no. Solar hasn't caught on here, because we are lazy Americans, and the benefit isn't worth the upfront cost to most.

I live a few minutes away from my job, which is great. But if I want to go where there's things to do, I'm driving 25-35 miles one way. Out in the country where I live, people are used to driving an hour to a larger city for a better paying job. Same thing with people that live an hour south of the larger metropolitan areas.

I used to live 40 miles west of Minneapolis MN, and drove into a suburb to work. So I drove 8,000 miles to and from work each year. While at work, I'd look up car parts and other stuff to buy, and go drive wherever after D vildwork to get said parts. I drove 22,000 miles extra each year getting those parts, for a total of 30,000 miles a year. Not as a commercial driver, just for recreation. I've cut that number down a lot, but I'll drive across the country for a car. I just did it in April, getting my 1971 Monaco station wagon, and I'd do it again.

Here I am at Devil's Tower in Wyoming on the way home.

View attachment 21865

Some people may appreciate a home charging system, but moms and their SUVs like to get in and go. Some of us have d tached garages, mines 50-60 feet from my house, and my driveway is the opposite way from the garage. I'd have to have my car as far away as possible to park it, and use the hydrogen "charger".

I just don't see the need to switch from a perfectly accessible fuel that is in great supply, and will be for a long time, much longer than people realize, and seem to think it will be available. This planet laughs at us and all we think we are doing to it. We aren't doing anything, and all the "green" energy that isn't that green, is just a feel good for those who don't understand that the "climate change" garbage they are hand fed by news and politicians, is nothing more then an attempt to gain power and control over how we all live our lives. Think the people in Sudan are going to latch on to solar power anytime soon? Or the fisherman in the Philippines are going to rush out and buy electric powered trawlers? No, because neither is practical.

I like having the option to go solar at home, or someone to have an EV, but I don't like being forced to accept a technology I feel isn't where it needs to be, for affordability, and sustainability. Mining lithium is a terrible process that digs giant holes in the ground. If it's for coal, that process is deemed harmful to the planet. But if it's for a Tesla, then those same people claim it is for the benefit of mankind. Most consumers are uneducated fools, who buy what is pumped on nightly TV commercials.
With you on that, brother!!

stupid auto spell! That should b, "make up 4 my fuel use by recycling/repurposing" No "Keurig" w all the k-cups. The amount of plastic we consume then dump in landfills is frightening!
I was gonna say if you had a Koenigsegg laying around, I'll take it off your hands! That carbon fiber is terrible for the environment. :smuggrin:

That is great thinking if you only want to get to the outhouse. Some of us preferer to get back in out of the cold.

Back