• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hydro roller cam for LA

Battlewagon

Reaction score
Didn't see a engine section sooooo, figure I'll ask my question here. :)

I've decided to rebuild the NP435 instead of swapping to NV3500, I'm used to the gear spread now, and actually like it with the 2.90's out back. That, and I hear the 3500 trans is weak in comparison.

That opens me up to putting together a entertaining engine for my 74 D100 and putting the 318 aside. I have a boatload of take-offs from various projects and a 89 roller cam 360 block. So here's the combo, 4" Scat stroker crank, Eagle I beam rods, KB forged pistons +.020", mildly worked 308 casting heads, Performer intake topped with a 750 Street demon. Now, here is where I falter. Camshaft. I have the 360 TBi roller, a 5.9 magnum roller (both ridiculously timid for a even for a low rev torque build 406) , and the rest of my rollers are nowhere near street friendly, nor cut for a hydraulic lifter.

So, question, is there any reason why I can't use a retrofit hydro roller in this block? I'm thinking of this Lunati: Lunati Voodoo Camshafts 20200711

If it's already a roller cam engine, I don't see any problem swapping in a different roller cam.

For a cam company the website says little about parts compatibility. And to think picking a cam by year, engine size and useage only thats down right scary.

Nice combo. Just my opinion, if your going to stick with the 290 gears I would go with the 710 voodoo. With the larger cubic inch I would also use the performer rpm intake. It's rated for a little higher rpm than you need but will come in a little sooner with the bigger engine. Also take a look at the engine quest heads. They flow pretty good out of the box and are not prone to cracking. I think I would also go with 1.6 rockers with the extra cubes. That would be quite the torque monster. Funny car burnouts.

Nice combo. Just my opinion, if your going to stick with the 290 gears I would go with the 710 voodoo. With the larger cubic inch I would also use the performer rpm intake. It's rated for a little higher rpm than you need but will come in a little sooner with the bigger engine. Also take a look at the engine quest heads. They flow pretty good out of the box and are not prone to cracking. I think I would also go with 1.6 rockers with the extra cubes. That would be quite the torque monster. Funny car burnouts.

Yeah, I've been eyeballing the EQ heads for some time, as well as the Indy X. I have a few intakes to choose from, so I might experiment between the Airgap and the older performer.

Yep, Rollers are the only way to go methinks!
Just had yet another LA hipo flat-tappet cam failure in a 400hp 360 LA motor!
That was after five years and it does a lot of damage to the piston skirts etc.
So we are gonna go Crower Roller as per our Bigblocks as they are AWESOME!

Just need to find someone sensible to make one for my 400hp 402ci-POLY engine now!!!

PolyJohn

Just need to find someone sensible to make one for my 400hp 402ci-POLY engine now!!!

PolyJohn
Donnie Johansen (sp?) at Conteras (sp?) Cam in Los Angeles area has cut roller cams for DeSoto Hemi engines so, theoretically, he could cut one for the Poly engines.
Sorry that I can't offer any more info on Donnie, he seems to be a bit elusive. I have been trying to find him for quite some time.
If anyone reading this has info please post it.

Thanx for the reply Wayfarer.
My Moparmate has just bought a 'Hotheads' 291 hemi roller cam, its a mix'n'match with a LA geardrive.

Comcams have suppiled Poly 'ROLLER' cams for the 'Engine-masters' Pollies, but are saying they have no more and can't do anymore?
I will try and contact the Hinkles as they had the same problem as we have several years ago with Compcams!
They supplied us a camshaft with 'NO' oiling hole for the valve train!!!
The damage it did after a 20 minute break-in run was considerable indeed...
Compcams were very unhelpful and we had to threaten with a law-case to get any COMPensation...:nutkick:

We are just a bunch of Diehards trying to put Pollies back on the MAP lol...

Best wishes from the Limeys

Update on a phone number that I just got on another forum.....909-815-9185
I have NOT verified it yet so it may or may not be him....

Have you been in contact with Gary Pavlovich?

Hi Wayfarer,

Yes Gary P. has been supplying us our Poly parts for TEN years now!
We started with the 360 Poly and stepped up the the 402 stroker back some eight years ago.
There is a distant lack of hipo cams in the Poly market at present and we have the largest Schnieder flat tappet available already.

Most super strong LA motors run HUGE cams and I am very tired of flat tappet failures after nearly 40-years of running Mopar engines...

The cam manufacturers need to need to get sensible and make more 'cheaper' rollers for all Mopar engines.
Then the prices will come down and so will the 'FAILURES' too...

Just had yet another LA hipo flat-tappet cam failure in a 400hp 360 LA motor!
That was after five years and it does a lot of damage to the piston skirts etc.
So we are gonna go Crower Roller as per our Bigblocks as they are AWESOME!

PolyJohn

Not to hijack the thread here ....try these guys for a Poly Cam
Antique Cams | Camcraft Cams

Thanx for the replies.
Mopar fans are blessed with many fantastic engines!
Some of us are looking at the less desirable ones, aka pollies, like Gary P. and his faithful followers (bad cam pun).
He and his merry 'band of brothers' are trying to fund an Aluminum Poly head!
Before that I would be funding camshafts as they are non-existent and with grocery getter specs.

Then it seems that trying to find someone to grind a LA 'roller-cam' blank for a Poly configuration is like pulling teeth, its not 'rocket science' just a bit of time and effort.

No wonder Folks go Chev and Ford, they have Smallblock parts at every street corner and at price that makes Mopar Guys/Gals CRY!!!:blah:

Everyone in the UK wanting a bit of extra grunt goes straight for a BigBlock and thats a sad fact.
We need to promote Smallblocks and Pollies and baby hemi's too...
John

Good observation John, it does often seem like many folks are getting lazy and just don't care much for the projects 'on the fringe'. ..."Why would I want to mess around with an old Poly camshaft when I could make 10 brand-x cams and get 10x the margin"?...
This is the same problem I run into with DeSoto and Dodge Hemi cams so I know exactly what you are up against; at least the LA cam core can be modified if you can find a willing participant.

Kind words Mr Wayfarer!
I have got a Hotheads Desoto roller cam for my 291 hemi but it was very expensive and only just big enuff for grocery getting!
I have a trash-can full of busted flat-tappets and thats why I won't run them anymore.
Its not just a cam change when the cam fails, its a full rebuild and sometimes new pistons too!
I am really liking Crower rollers and I just gotta get them on board with a Poly Roller.
Never say NEVER, where there's a will there's a way...:brownnose:

Back