• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

How many blower speeds?

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a silly question. How many blower speeds is a 96 Dakota (with a/c) supposed to have. 3 or 4? Is there a second speed when the knob is over the fan blade symbol? The only place that was close to the answer is Rockauto. It describes it as a 4 position switch. Does that include off? Then it would be 5 position. tmm

Last edited:
I would have to check mine and see; mines a 1992 but its likely the same

I know up to 94 models had a slider switch that was part of the other controls as one unit located under the radio. In 97 it switched over to a 3 knob that was located between the radio and guage cluster. Now I though Dodge used the same controls up to when they switched in 97 but from what your saying I am probably wrong about that. The early slider models where 4 postion plus an off. The 97 and later it was just 4 position switch for speed, to turn it off completely was part of another switch that controled which vents it came out of.

Here are some pics I found

88-96 years your may not look exactly like this but close they did vary a bit between years
87_96.JPG

97-03 I think
97.jpg

87_96.JPG

97.jpg

Thanks Dude. My 2nd speed doesn't work. I'm sure it's the most popular speed and burned the switch out. I already checked the resistor and connector and all looks new there. Thanks for your help. tmm

Thanks Dude. My 2nd speed doesn't work. I'm sure it's the most popular speed and burned the switch out. I already checked the resistor and connector and all looks new there. Thanks for your help. tmm

probably a bad blower switch if the resisitor isn't fried

Not having a good day! LOL I got a blower switch from NAPA. Took the dash apart to get the controller out. The oem switch looks nothing like the Napa switch. I screamed out to the Mopar dealer in my Dart before they closed. I found out that the switch was not serviceable and the controller assembly is the only way to get it. $368 way back when and they have been discontinued for a few years. Off to the salvage yard I go. It's 4 pm on a Saturday and of course they are all closed. Dang! I hurried over to NAPA to return the switch and they closed @ 4 also. Dang again! I hope I don't need my pick up tomorrow. I will get a $30 dollar used controller on Monday. I need a drink! LOL tmm

Last edited:
Not having a good day! LOL I got a blower switch from NAPA. Took the dash apart to get the controller out. The oem switch looks nothing like the Napa switch. I screamed out to the Mopar dealer in my Dart before they closed. I found out that the switch was not serviceable and the controller assembly is the only way to get it. $368 way back when and they have been discontinued for a few years. Off to the salvage yard I go. It's 4 pm on a Saturday and of course they are all closed. Dang! I hurried over to NAPA to return the switch and they closed @ 4 also. I hope I don't need my pick up tomorrow. I will get a $30 dollar used controller on Monday. I need a drink! LOL tmm

LOL Life of a do it your selfer!

Went to a local salvage yard today. I got a controller for $15 and took it home and plugged it in. It was slow to change modes with lots of vacuum hissing but the switch worked perfect. I changed the switch and everything works good but as usual going back together is not perfect. I broke a clip nut off on the plastic frame where the ac controller screws into. There is a guide pin just below the screw hole and the cluster trim holds it in place. Normal for a 16 year old truck. LOL tmm

Nope. Just with the junk yard controller. I used my original controller and exchanged the switch. tmm

Back