• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hey Mopar family!

87D100Custom

Reaction score
Will be getting a 1987 Dodge D100 Custom here soon that belonged to my father in law (RIP). I am planning on using it as a father/son project for my little boy and I so that the truck will stay in the family. Already have a few things planned that I would like to do to it such as pulling the 318 and swapping in a mildly built 440, lowering it, custom paint and interior as well as a nice set of rims. Just looking to make it a cruiser that will have the muscle to back up the looks. If anyone has any information on these trucks that they are willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to FTO from New Zealand. 👍

Father and son project sounds awesome. You'll get plenty of advice and help here.

Don't be afraid to ask.....there's no such thing as a dumb question.....only dumb answers. :cool:

worthless1.jpg

Hello from Minnesota. Look forward to following along with the build. Very cool to have it be a father and son project. As said, we need some pictures.

Hello from MO. As much as the 440 is appealing I would look for a good 360 to rebuild or a stroker motor. Maybe even a new Hemi with OD.

Hello from MO. As much as the 440 is appealing I would look for a good 360 to rebuild or a stroker motor. Maybe even a new Hemi with OD.
I've thought about doing a stroker or new HEMI swap into it, but the new HEMI swaps have too many sensors to worry about. I decided on the 440 due to the amount of torque that it can produce without resorting to running a diesel lol. Plus the 440 is more plentiful than people realize and it makes for a certain 'wow' factor when opening the hood.

Problem I see with the wow factor is others are not funding the go factor. If you need it or simply want it go for it. If for the wow factor it a short lived waste of time.
Build what you truly need. Otherwise it will sit and become an expensive ornament in the driveway or garage.

The torque from the 440 can be meaty down low, and doesn't have to be a high revving monster to get good power all in around 5500 rpm. Engine Masters dyno'd 440 built to go back in General Mayhem, and it made 564.2 ft/lbs @ 4100 and 536.1 hp @ 5600. Nothing exotic, forged crank, did go with aftermarket rods with the .990 pin size, JE pistons, a hydraulic roller cam 244/244 duration .555 lift 110 LSA, Stealth aluminum heads, Mopar RPM Performer intake, Holley 830 CFM HP on a 1.5" spacer, and 1 7/8 headers (good luck with truck headers). Not a lot more than a regular build, and it's in the safe zone for RPM range that most people will use. Heads are $1100, the intake is a few hundred, the cam isn't cheap, the lifters are $560. So even with smaller tube headers (1 5/8 tti shorty's made 540 ft/lbs and 500+ HP), you're still going to have an engine that will pull hard.

The modern Hemi can be dumped in with a carb intake and you can lose most of not all the sensors depending on what transmission you choose.

I'm building an RB, because that's what I have, I've had most of my engines laying around for years, waiting for me to build them, and it's finally getting close to that time.

Good luck with the build, keep us posted.

Now, where are those pictures? 😁

Welcome from a more recent newcomer! Mid 70s MH 440s r plentiful n cheap! A cam kit/dual plane intake w holley 950 dbl pump and 1⁷/⁸ headers w stock heads will give you very near 500ft lbs! Most of these old MH engines have few miles! That being said...the wedge has a lot of cachet. I put a MH 440in my one ton! It was really cheap but, if I had it 2 do over, I would go 4 a 360 mag w a 2192 Ed cam/ upgrade ign/dual plane w holly and headers! Whatever u do...have fun w your son. That's most important. I had 3 sons who helped do auto projects etc.

Back