• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

GM TRUCKS THAT LEAK AND PREMATURELY RUST

rocknrik

Reaction score
My Chevy Silverado ext.cab is leaking terribly in the right rear corner of the headliner. The headliner is all stained and ruined and I am not sure where the leak is coming from. The dealer wants to replace the cargo light stating that it's leaking through there but I've been reading online where other people are saying they have the same problem but it's coming in where the mounting hole for the weatherstrip is located. It's about a 1/4 inch hole in the body where the stud holds the weatherstrip in place. this seems to make more sense to me. On the Riverside water and salt are pooling in the seem of the molding and causing the metal strip to rust which in turn is causing the rocker panel to bubble up the paint and it's now rusting. This truck even though it's a 2011 has only 34,456 miles on it and lives a very pampered life. This should not be happening and of course GM doesn't care because it's out of warranty now. I'm wondering if anybody else has had or is having this problem with their Sierra/Silverado and what if anything are you doing about it or what can be done about it. I got GM to say they will pay 25% of repair on the headliner problem only but the rust issue is not something they are willing to touch even though I think it's their responsibility to fix. They have a 6 year warranty on sheet metal rust through but they say there is no hole through the metal so that doesn't apply. If anyone has ANY ideas on how to resolve this I'd be open to hearing your suggestions. Feel free to answer or offer any advice. Thanks in advance folks.

It out of warranty. Let the dealer do what he can. He only gets paid for what the manufacture allows and as you have found out that is not much.
I have never been fond of moldings. They do add eye appeal but are dirt and moisture traps.

Back