• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Getn er back on the road.

Furyus 67

Reaction score
Not going to be a restoration yet. Just gonna work on getn er back on the road. Ya see my uncle is retiring next August and he's turning in his lease in March. He's been on the hunt for a cheap "old mans" truck. His words not mine lol. So after looking at a few pieces of absolute crap he had his eyes on I told him"I'll find him a truck". Here it's is!
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0842.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG

It's 1982 Dodge Ram D150. Slant 6 ,4speed non A/C. 83125 on the clock. Originally it belonged to my heating and cooling guy. If this doesn't fit the "old man truck " I don't know what does. As stated earlier the plan is to get it running and back on the road so he can go get his beer and backy! 1st order is carb rebuild or replace, drain the gas tank then fire it up. I'm very interested to know how to get rid of the lean burn system on this thing. If anyone can post a link or have some guidance on this subject it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced!!

Last edited:
If the lean burn still runs, leave it alone. Many died an ugly, early death and wouldn't run well; but some of them are still on the road and doing well yet. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Otherwise, it's an easy dump.

If the lean burn still runs, leave it alone. Many died an ugly, early death and wouldn't run well; but some of them are still on the road and doing well yet. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Otherwise, it's an easy dump.
I guess I'm counting on it not working lol. We still haven't heard it run for any length of time. Poured some gas in er and she fired up for a second. Payed the man his cash and trailered it home. If it works the way it sits I will leave it alone . Thanks!

Well I'm in the middle of drilling and tapping the 1bbl carb where it mounts to the base plate. One of the p/o's previous mechanics had done this because the threads pulled out and the carb came loose. And of course he drilled so big I'm force to make room for a 1.25 course thread bolt. All of this to try and save the carb lol
IMG_0857.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG

Well I got it to seat and lock the spacer and the carb together. Whether or not it will work is anybody's guess. At this point I just want to hear it run for a bit before I buy a new carb for it.....Fingers crossed lol
IMG_0862.JPG
not the prettiest but it's function over form right now.

That will work but you could use a heli-coil. Your repair is way cheaper because you have to buy the whole kit to fix one hole.

That will work but you could use a heli-coil. Your repair is way cheaper because you have to buy the whole kit to fix one hole.
I don't like how much material I had to take out for this to work but it will answer an important question for me. " Does it run for more than 10 seconds "!
New carbs aren't out of my price range. Before I go that route I want to know if it's worth it. We will find out tomorrow!!

On top of that....I have never used a helicoil kit lol. Always drilled and tapped for what I've needed. Maybe one day!!

1st time 7 yrs she's been running. Flushed the tank, new fuel pump and she fired right up!

The real test for the lean-burn will be getting it down the road without losing power.

The real test for the lean-burn will be getting it down the road without losing power.
Won't find that out till the brakes lines are fixed. Tackling that today. There are NOO brakes at the moment.

Question for those more experienced: I'm getn ready to replace the rotten brake lines on the dodge. Is this single or double flared? I did a lil googln without a straight enough answer. Can anybody say??

Question for those more experienced: I'm getn ready to replace the rotten brake lines on the dodge. Is this single or double flared? I did a lil googln without a straight enough answer. Can anybody say??
Double flared on brake lines

Do not remember ever seeing a single flair on brake lines. If you have a speciality hydrolic shop close they maybe able to make new ones.

IMG_0881.JPG
After cleaning and fixing the carb, replacing the vacuume lines and rusty brake lines. Putting new plugs in and putting the firing order in the correct order....she purrs like a kitten . Still got some carb tweeks to do. Any way ....took her down the road for the 1st time in 7 hrs or so.

Last edited:
She needs tires terribly!! I've got four of these interceptor wheels that will look right at home here!! Uncle doesn't know I'm putting them on.
IMG_0885.JPG

Curious:Any idea when they stopped using single?
I have always seen double on brake lines, I think a single flare could split on the seam. The only time I have seen single is on hydraulic lines with 37 degree flare, like a-n fittings.

Tsk, tsk, you should know better! Use what ya got! Good to see it moving about.
What I've got is 2 hubcaps and 4 rusted up rims lol. Can't have my Uncle driving around looking like that!! Everybody in the family knows I'm a car guy....I'm afraid I couldn't live it down. Right after I posted this I talked to a buddy that's got a near new set of 235/70-15 on aluminum wheels for 250. So to save some quid I'm probly gonna use those. Not really a fan of the wheels tho.
IMG_0888.JPG
And yes I know what they're for...

Back