• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

gas tank relocation

MoparsOnly

The snozberries taste like snozberries.
Reaction score
I was in my local pick&pull yard yesterday and, happened across an mid to late 80's ramcharger and realized it had the gas tank mounted between the frame rails where my spare tire resides. I thought why can't I just grab all the hardware and tank and mount it just like the charger. I'll just plumb the filler kneck with some pipe to the back. I can also extend everything else like hoses and wiring. any thoughts?

Sorry if I miss something but.........you want to install that gas tank on what kind of truck???

Yeah , You can do that . Just make sure you grab "everything" to mount it . Unless your good at fab skill's . That's one of the ways I'm thinking of going with my Warlock in a couple of years . It's either that or a fuel cell , I haven't totally decided yet . In my case though , I'll have to have the fuel filler mounted in the floor of the bed .

I figure as much. I was thinking fuel cell until I saw that and, said eureka I've found the solution. I'm just gonna cut the filler door out and re-weld it in new place. Hey you think you could do a behind the plate deal for your filler, it might be worth a shot instead of cutting a hole in bed.

Bear's right. You need all the supports as they're unique to the ramcharger. And I believe the bumper mounting brackets as well. IIRC they are shorter to accommodate the fuel tank.
You'd have to check your height if you want to put your filler behind the plate as it might be to lower than the top of the tank.

I figure as much. I was thinking fuel cell until I saw that and, said eureka I've found the solution. I'm just gonna cut the filler door out and re-weld it in new place. Hey you think you could do a behind the plate deal for your filler, it might be worth a shot instead of cutting a hole in bed.
I've already thought about putting the filler behind the plate and as much as I hate saying you can't do that , you can't do that . At least not with a Ramcharger tank . The inlet on the tank is on the upper drivers side edge of the tank . If you put the filler behind the plate you'll be trying to pump the fuel up hill when you fill up .

Bear's right. You need all the supports as they're unique to the ramcharger. And I believe the bumper mounting brackets as well. IIRC they are shorter to accommodate the fuel tank.
You'd have to check your height if you want to put your filler behind the plate as it might be to lower than the top of the tank.
I can't remember how the bumper brackets are . I'd have to look at my parts truck . I know you either have pull the bumper it's self off the brackets or pull the tank to get at the bolts holding the bumper brackets to the frame . I know it sounds extreme , but I'm actually thinking of cutting the whole back section of the frame out of my parts truck just so when the time does come for me to do this swap , I'll know where everything went . It kills me that I didn't do this swap before I put the Warlock on the road . But summer was running out and I was itching to start driving it . Maybe by the time I do get around to doing it , I'll have figured out a better location for the filler , Other then the floor of the bed .

I've got it, throw some 2" drop spindles on it and, some nice 33" firestone cheater slicks. Then you'll be good to go. The filler will be higher then the tank.:smuggrin: Just kidding.

I've got it, throw some 2" drop spindles on it and, some nice 33" firestone cheater slicks. Then you'll be good to go. The filler will be higher then the tank.:smuggrin: Just kidding.
At least you wouldn't have to bend over to put the fuel in ! :D lol

Just put this in the bed!
Fuel-Bladder-50-Gallon-SF50-crop.png

I have a RamCharger tank in my ShortBed I installed a larger pickup in mine
On a different note DodgeAddict; I've been reading up on several different Dodge forums on lowering D100's. The way your truck sit's is how I want mine and you gave me the solution, however, what you think or know about "Chevy lowering shackles for the rears" and " 94/02 Ram 3" lowering springs?". No fabbing nor flippin. Thanks.
20141122_211016_zpsfdaeb5cb.jpg

The shackles won't get you to where mine is & the lowering springs only are good for 1 1/2 maybe 2 inches if you are lucky

The shackles won't get you to where mine is & the lowering springs only are good for 1 1/2 maybe 2 inches if you are lucky
Okay. No more research for me, van LCA and flippin it shall be.
Thank you for your time and expertise. Have a great holiday (Merry Christmas!)

Back