• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Found a used truck...

Jim S

Reaction score
Been looking for something to haul my camper more comfortably than my 1/2 ton GMC. Looking at a 2009 Chevy 2500 long bed work truck with 120 k on it. Former commercial vehicle pulling a gooseneck trailer. Looks okay but concerned about some wet oil underneath. And the sellers anxiousness to sell ASAP.

IMG_20200312_150131089.jpg

Oil leaks that scare the current owner....could be an easy fix...depending upon your level of skill.

@65 sporty might know a bit more about these trucks, he deals with them often.

I know my truck leaks power steering fluid and transmission fluid, but I keep up on the levels, so I don't worry. Hoping to fix the transmission sooner than later

Not hard to fix leaks if you can find them.
Just need to take it out and swap internals with a good case, shouldn't take very long. For someone else to do, I don't think I could do it myself on the gravel. But I might have a different garage soon, but still no lift.

Just need to take it out and swap internals with a good case, shouldn't take very long. For someone else to do, I don't think I could do it myself on the gravel. But I might have a different garage soon, but still no lift.
Isn't that a little extreme for a bad line connection or a possible gasket leak?

W

Which truck you have to do it to?
The '98. Transmission needs to be rebuilt as it's had a tough life and low fluid levels didn't help the overdrive or the lockup convertor. I'll put the best parts in it so I never have to touch it again. Had I kept the transmission out of the previous truck, I could have swapped it in and been done, it had everything done to it already, but space, and a girlfriend told me it had to go. Last time I sold anything before I was ready.

The '98. Transmission needs to be rebuilt as it's had a tough life and low fluid levels didn't help the overdrive or the lockup convertor. I'll put the best parts in it so I never have to touch it again. Had I kept the transmission out of the previous truck, I could have swapped it in and been done, it had everything done to it already, but space, and a girlfriend told me it had to go. Last time I sold anything before I was ready.
Keep on saying that, hasn't worked for me.

The wife has no idea what's out there. Even if she happened to see something sitting there would still not know.

Been looking for something to haul my camper more comfortably than my 1/2 ton GMC. Looking at a 2009 Chevy 2500 long bed work truck with 120 k on it. Former commercial vehicle pulling a gooseneck trailer. Looks okay but concerned about some wet oil underneath. And the sellers anxiousness to sell ASAP.

View attachment 16867
Is it 2 or 4wd? Is it using a lot of oil? Can you see it dripping when running? Common oil leaks on these trucks are the oil coolers lines, the gasket for the lines on the oil pan, the rear main and gasket for the plate on the rear of the engine.
The drivers side valve cover baffle will plug and not drain and it will suck oil through the PCV system, check this if it's using oil but not leaking bad.
The oil in the picture looks like it's been seeping for a while. I would clean it off and watch it to see how bad and what's leaking.

Back