• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

first dodge...72D100

dreaded rust

Reaction score
20150913_092720.jpg
20150914_194323.jpg
20150914_194521.jpg

Hey, newbie here. First post.

Just picked up a 72 Dodge D100. Got it for a steal. Not too familiar with these old trucks but so far I'm loving it; it was a bit of an impulse buy based on the price. Has the 318 and a 4 speed manual. 8 3/4 rear end. Seems to run pretty well. Leaky valve covers and a vacuum hiss when I'm pushing the brake down (stops fine btw.)

Future plans aside from the obvious brake issue and fixing a couple gauges and little stuff like that:

Ditch those mirrors in favor of something a bit more low key (first priority according to SWMBO)

Little rust repair and a flat black paint job.

A friend of mine has a holley carburetor...says it's about 400-500 cfm. He's not too sure. But it's free

Another friend of mine has a set of heads off a 360 that he's hooking me up with. He said it'd be a good swap. Seems though by much of what I'm reading that's going to drop my compression a bit more than desired.

get rid of the old school points. I was thinking this - http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/40500K/10002/-1

Simple dual exhaust set up

Thoughts?

Sounds like the price was right, and the truck looks in fairly good shape. Well done and thanks for joining FTO.
That electronic conversion kit looks fine, as long as you know how to do the swap-out. You might some good money for those big mirrors if you pitch them at the Van brigade. :)

Welcome to the truck world and to FTO and congrats on your new truck . It look's like a nice solid foundation to start with . There's a lot of good guy's here that can help you with pretty much anything you come across with your new toy . So far it sounds like your on the right track with a small 4 bbl. , maybe you can find a good deal on a good dual plain intake to go with it . As far as the carb , I know the price is right but you might want to check the numbers to see exactly what it is first . Getting rid of the points is another good idea . That swap is pretty straight forward , I've done a few of them myself . With the duel exhaust idea , that's a good one to and I'd recommend a true duel all the way back . You'll have to put both mufflers on the passenger side , but personally I think it's worth it . Keep us posted on your progress .

Welcome to the truck world and to FTO and congrats on your new truck . It look's like a nice solid foundation to start with . There's a lot of good guy's here that can help you with pretty much anything you come across with your new toy . So far it sounds like your on the right track with a small 4 bbl. , maybe you can find a good deal on a good dual plain intake to go with it . As far as the carb , I know the price is right but you might want to check the numbers to see exactly what it is first . Getting rid of the points is another good idea . That swap is pretty straight forward , I've done a few of them myself . With the duel exhaust idea , that's a good one to and I'd recommend a true duel all the way back . You'll have to put both mufflers on the passenger side , but personally I think it's worth it . Keep us posted on your progress .
Is the fuel tank on the 72 not still in the cab? Thought 73 was the first year for under bed fuel tanks. What else is in the way on the driver's side preventing exhaust pasage?

My folks had a '73 D100 Adventurer and the tank was still in the cab. Don't overlook the OEM Chrysler electronic ignition. Pretty durable; since brand new, the only thing changed on my '74 was several ballast resistors. It seems the early ballasts would fail, but I haven't changed one in decades.

Welcome to the site. Look at that grille! Way nicer than whatbi got for my 72! It took me close to ten years to figure out I had a 74 up grille on my truck and 2 more as spares. I vote for keeping the paint as is, but it's not my call. You just don't see many looking like that anymore. Nice to see your son liking it!

Is the fuel tank on the 72 not still in the cab? Thought 73 was the first year for under bed fuel tanks. What else is in the way on the driver's side preventing exhaust pasage?

The tank is in the cab so no need for mufflers on one side.

Last edited:
Hei conversion maybe simple 1 wire. But that thing is huge and in an already cramped area.

Hi there amigos!
I also picked up my first Dodge truck, a '72 D100 Adventurer SE.
Anywho, Dig your truck, Dreaded Rust. One comment; keep the paint! Flat black is "OUT!" Patina is the new "IN". Anyway, who cares what's "in or out" your truck just looks cool man.
Here's mine. Cheers!
20150831_181908_2_bestshot.jpg

Your right , I forgot the 72 had the tank in the cab .

Both trucks look pretty damn good from here!!!!!! Love the keeping it "stock" vibe too........ I'd do the same on mine but....... I just LOVE the idea of having something new & shiny. not something I ever had, but a new shiny oldie well....... yep I take right after my dad that way!

Both trucks look pretty damn good from here!!!!!! Love the keeping it "stock" vibe too........ I'd do the same on mine but....... I just LOVE the idea of having something new & shiny. not something I ever had, but a new shiny oldie well....... yep I take right after my dad that way!
'67-PW. GW. Here. I'm simplifying my life. In California, at least Southern Cali. it's been about the "Jones'es", Which neighbor, co-workers and family to "up do". I was cought up in that SH*T... I love my Betty (the truck). You Sir! Get that "Beast" shiny like Italian crystal, you deserve it! BTW, my Betty is in the shop getting a little work done. Don't we all like "Sleepers?" Ugly, but I'll blow you of the line all the way to 120mph kinda thing?
Cheers, bratha!

GW, I don't think mine make it to 120 MPH....BUT I tell you, it pull ANYTHING its hitched too up to about 97 MPH...... :woot:

GW, I don't think mine make it to 120 MPH....BUT I tell you, it pull ANYTHING its hitched too up to about 97 MPH...... :woot:
I'd love to see your rig do a "Monster Truck Crush" to all of the, Ferrari's, Lambo, McClaren's and Teslas out here... They're like cockroaches, notice I didn't Porsches on the list? #1 Porsche nut!

Back