• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

fargo L-700 at home

cordodge

Reaction score
well got the fargo home, here is a couple pics.
Bruce 2015-07-01 06.51.21.jpg2015-07-01 06.51.34.jpg2015-07-03 11.52.26.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

2015-07-01 06.51.21.jpg

2015-07-01 06.51.34.jpg

2015-07-03 11.52.26.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

I can think of a few things to do with it but what you going to do with it?

well i am going to shorten it 40 inches to make it to the smallest wheelbase they came in which was 89", remove the the old 361 and trans and rearend. remove the cab and take it apart for blasting and bodywork, i have a line on a 24 valve cummins and running gear. i was thinking i will run 4 super single tires on alcoa aluminum wheels. have the body painted and the trim re chromed and use it to pull a fifth wheel trailer. it's a pretty cool old rig should be fun to bring it back to life.most of the body is galvanized so is in great shape.

I am open to ideas the more the better. Bruce

I love it and your idea's sound good to me also Bruce! Get some nice Alcoa's on it will make that truck look good right now!

I love it and your idea's sound good to me also Bruce! Get some nice Alcoa's on it will make that truck look good right now!

hey thanks, can't wait to get started on it, i do need a couple items like a passenger side door glass and a driver side step but thats pretty much it. i think the glass should be the same as the A-100s

Sounds great Bruce. Have you checked the engine tunnel height yet the 24 valve Cummins is a tall critter?

At 89" and the Cummins up front you going to have to add weight to keep to rear safely on the the ground with the trailer disconnected? I have a friend down here with an early 90's D250 Cummins 2:wheel drive and his biggest complaint is not enough weight on the back without a load to get the heavy noise around and that is with the front wheels under the engine. Yours should end up about 3/4ths in front of the axle to get the trans and drive shaft in at 89". Just a thought!

At 89" and the Cummins up front you going to have to add weight to keep to rear safely on the the ground with the trailer disconnected? I have a friend down here with an early 90's D250 Cummins 2:wheel drive and his biggest complaint is not enough weight on the back without a load to get the heavy noise around and that is with the front wheels under the engine. Yours should end up about 3/4ths in front of the axle to get the trans and drive shaft in at 89". Just a thought!

Yeah, well the 89" was just a number cause they built them that short with a cummins but they did use a huge rear end.once i start to do some mock-up the wheel base may change.I guess when i build the deck for the back i could use some heavy steel to off set the front. The motor in the truck now is about 60% behind the front axle and i am sure the diesel would be longer than the V-8 which will put alot more weight behind the axle. I was thinking i could use front & rear axles out of a top kick truck i think they are like a 5ton axle and also have the 11-1/4 bolt pattern for the alcoa wheels. thx bruce

Last edited:
The engine must be set back like in the vans of that era. Could you post some interior pictures so any one under 50 will know what is being discussed here about engine placement? The engine sitting that far back will make a world of difference on the balance of things. Does the cab tilt or does it just have a compartment cover? Would be neat to put a tilt cab on if it doesn't already have one and would make working on the Cummins so much easier.

The engine must be set back like in the vans of that era. Could you post some interior pictures so any one under 50 will know what is being discussed here about engine placement? The engine sitting that far back will make a world of difference on the balance of things. Does the cab tilt or does it just have a compartment cover? Would be neat to put a tilt cab on if it doesn't already have one and would make working on the Cummins so much easier.

Hey, yeah i will be home on monday and i will take some pics, It is a tilt cab and your right you can get to everything when you flip it up. I think that's what makes it look like it would be really nose heavy, when you sit in it the front of the motor is basically in line with your back.

P.S i am 2 months away from 50 lol.

thanks Bruce

You need to let us in on how you found this and what it was used for originally some day. I have seen Dodge stub noses but nothing but pictures of anything similar to your Fargo.

You need to let us in on how you found this and what it was used for originally some day. I have seen Dodge stub noses but nothing but pictures of anything similar to your Fargo.

Hey, yeah it was a fire truck from day one, Im not positive but i believe in canada they used the fargo name and dodge in the U.S

there is a place in quebec that has tons of old cab over's GMCs/INTERNATIONALS/FORD's all mostly fire trucks and in really good shape they just crush them for weight. i am Glad i saved the fargo from that fate!

You are correct on the Dodge build in the US, is it as strange to you as the Fargo name in Canada is to us southerners? Are they Rams there now as they are here or has the Fargo name be retained?

You are correct on the Dodge build in the US, is it as strange to you as the Fargo name in Canada is to us southerners? Are they Rams there now as they are here or has the Fargo name be retained?

we have had fargo's forever but that name has been gone for quite some time now.The first Fargo trucks were built in Chicago by the Fargo Motor Car Company from 1913 until 1922. In 1928 Chrysler bought the business and created their own line of Fargo trucks. Shortly after its creation, Chrysler also bought the Dodge Brothers Company, adding Dodge and Graham Brothers badged trucks to its product line.

From then on, Fargo trucks were almost identical to Dodge models, save for trim and name, and were sold by Chrysler-Plymouth dealers.

U.S. sales were discontinued in the 1930s, but the name Fargo was used until 1972 for Canada,

and yes the new trucks are just rams here as well.

Bruce

I also recall seeing Plymouth trucks in Canada and the Chrysler, Plymouth dealership I was working at in 73 had also obtained a full sized extended Plymouth van if I recall correctly it was a 12 passenger built in Canada when the largest Dodge provided was a 9 passenger. Anyway you will have one unique truck when done and we will all enjoy watching it go together.

Back