• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Exhaust leak on F650? I think a mechanic screwed me over

Schneiderman

Reaction score
I drive trucks at work, one of them is a F650. A while ago I noticed exhaust billowing out from the bottom of the engine compartment. The truck had to go in for service anyway so I alerted my boss and told him to have it checked for an exhaust leak. It went in for service and they billed us for repairing the exhaust leak. Got the truck back and smoke was still pouring out from the same spot. We brought it back, a mechanic came out to look at it and told me, "oh, that's normal". I had a supervisor with me who just accepted that answer and told me to drive the truck back. I'm no diesel mechanic but I feel like we just got screwed. Is it really normal for exhaust to be pouring out the bottom of the engine compartment? And if so, why did they bill us for repairing an exhaust leak in the first place?

I don't know, I won't see the truck again until tuesday or wednesday, I'll look then. But the apparent exhaust leak is constant and puts out a lot of smoke. If you look under the truck you just see smoke shooting out from the engine compartment. You can usually smell it from the cab and when sitting in traffic sometimes you can see it coming up beside the door.

I drive trucks at work, one of them is a F650. A while ago I noticed exhaust billowing out from the bottom of the engine compartment. The truck had to go in for service anyway so I alerted my boss and told him to have it checked for an exhaust leak. It went in for service and they billed us for repairing the exhaust leak. Got the truck back and smoke was still pouring out from the same spot. We brought it back, a mechanic came out to look at it and told me, "oh, that's normal". I had a supervisor with me who just accepted that answer and told me to drive the truck back. I'm no diesel mechanic but I feel like we just got screwed. Is it really normal for exhaust to be pouring out the bottom of the engine compartment? And if so, why did they bill us for repairing an exhaust leak in the first place?
-
what year is it? i have had 1/2 a dozen f-550, f-650 with the 7.3 and when it comes out where you say, and a lot of it, it has been an oil leak on the hi/po turbo line at the back of the engine. if its an exhaust leak before the muffler there will be a heck of a noise and it shouldn't be a lot of smoke, just noise. my .02 cents. rick

Back