• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Draining ATF.....

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
Is there a way to fully drain an automatic or am I going to have to do a flush type of job on it? Don't remember seeing a drain plug on the converter the last time I serviced the A500

I called my buddy 'MowPar' and he told me how he does this....

Jack up or put the vehicle on a hoist.
Undo one radiator hose from the trans, and run into a measuring type container.
Start vehicle up and put in Neutral.
Run engine until bubbles start to form at the open hose (which is by now submerged in fluid)
Shut off engine.
Replace exactly the same measured amount of fluid that came out of transmission.

Repeat 2-3 times until fluid runs clear.

This works out easier than dropping a pan, as you will not introduce a 'new' leak that wasn't there already, and it's only one hose to disconnect/reconnect. MowPar does this for all his customers, and is cheaper than having a fancy transmission flushing machine in the shop. Trans fluid is way cheaper than a new trans...so it is good to be able to service this way. Apparently there is no easy way to completely drain a transmission & torque converter without dis-assembly.

I hope that helps somewhat. :)

I'm going to stick on a new filter and put the pan back on and do that. The pan was pretty dirty and worse than I thought it might be but didn't find any metal in it....at least nothing that a magnet would pick up.

Just checking out trans stuff

hey Cranky, how are ya' ?

Back