• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

dodge truck brake problem

teringer

Reaction score
hello i'm new to the truck forum but have been on a body for some time now my problem is there some where I can find a brake diagram for my 1999 ram 1500 . I changed our my front calipers and master cylinder and I cant get the front brakes bleed out only rear are working and pedal is low the combination valve keeps flipping over and I remove it and push the piston back and the light will go out until I try to bleed it and it flips back blocking off fluid to the front. I have loosen the lines and let it gravy bleed over night . as soon as It get 1 pump it flips over I went to the dealer for a new combination valve and its discontinued if they found one its 400$. any info or magic wand would be helpful . I been a mechanic for 45 years and never had a simple problem like brakes make me pull my hair out and its always on my own truck THANKS this truck appears to have rear abs only is this possible?

Last edited:
Yes on the rear ABS, a lot of trucks came that way. Did you bench bleed the master? Is the master the same as the old one? Do you have access to a vacuum bleeder?
With what you changed it should be easy to bleed. I would start with bench bleeding the master, then bleed the lines at the master and work my way out to the wheels from there.
If it's not tripping the combo valve back on it's own it is not getting pressure from the master.

Letting the bleeders stay open over night doesn't drain the master? Whenever I did the gravity bleed, it didn't take very long to drain any of mine.....

Back