1. Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dismiss Notice

Dodge A100 disc brake conversion - Scarebird

Discussion in 'Classic Dodge Trucks - Pre 1981' started by kiwigtx, Jan 8, 2018.

1. kiwigtx

kiwigtxInternational Mod Staff Member

I just thought making the title easily searched would help others. :)

Ok, so I am going to carry out a few mods to my A100 this year.
    1. Brakes
    2. Steering
    3. Fuel delivery
    4. Engine power

I'll start it of here with my brakes upgrade. I have just had confirmation of what I need on the bottom end for the conversion. But what I need to know is - has anyone else actually done this upgrade themselves? The only thing I think I will need to calculate is the actual change in the master Cylinder. Although my Brake Man can sort that - if anyone has any good suggestions, I am more than happy to listen.

Thanks team.

1964-70 Dodge A100 van front disc

upload_2018-1-9_13-17-31.png

• Like Like x 3
    • paul massaro

paul massaropomonamissel

very sure the hub and drum set up is the same as the d100 60-71 . might even go back a couple years earlier . so that might get you closer . i have a couple d100 in these years , and the 75 ramcharger rotors and a dorfman stud can be matched up to the stock hubs and a gm caliper then comes in to play . this setup fits the 11 3/4 rotor . now i saw a member on forebodies use a viper caliper with a 15'' alloy rim , so that the ave i'm taking . yes scarebird makes a gm caliper mounting bracket for the conversion . did see a viper caliper bracket and kit for mopars on doctor dif web site . not sure if it works across'd all the models with drum brakes .

• Like Like x 2
      • 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

I do believe the A100 has a front straight axle and not the independent suspension of a D100. Correct me if this is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

That would be an easy upgrade. Do you have the correct axle?

• Like Like x 2
          • kiwigtx

I checked with mark at Scarebird, and he says the Dodge D100 won't fit - they offer new ones, but they will not suit apparently. My hubs are good fortunately, but good replacements are tough to find from what I have heard.
            Thanks for your reply. :)

• kiwigtx

Yes, mine has the 2200 axle up front ....so it's going to fit well. The kit calls for Chevy Celebrity calipers and Lincoln rotors plus a bunch of small parts - hoses, banjo fittings and bolts. The Scarebird kit comes with bolt-up hardware. I can't wait. :D ....although it is going to take out the uncertainty factor when pulling up at a red light. ...lol

• Like Like x 2
            • paul massaro

paul massaropomonamissel

7mopar , the a series vans and d series trucks started ifs in 72 up , so a pair of parallel leaf springs and a beam axle was it until 72's came out . but that twin parallel leaf springs continued on the w series (4x4) for years . check them out . ih trucks used beam axles until 74 . so chrysler was not the last to go ifs .

• Like Like x 2
              • 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

I knew that just wanted to confirm it. Just did not know why you were suggesting ifs stiff on a solid axle. But then you were not. So I stand corrected.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • kiwigtx

It's been a while since I posted here, and even longer since I worked on my A100. Some news on my disc brake upgrade.....finally received a carton with some of the vital parts required - rotors, hoses and small parts. I also have the caliper mounting brackets.

But the annoying part is that Scarebird sells the Calipers and custom made brackets as a kit - supposedly direct from their own shop....so when the calipers did not arrive after waiting for 3 months, I find out that he 3rd Party ships them from Rock Auto of all places. Had I known that right from the start, I could have ordered them myself from Rock Auto, and saved myself a few dollars and a couple of months.
                  tumblr_mjw3m8hppg1qhr01io1_400.gif

Hence, I have not yet started my upgrade....I want all parts in hand before pulling anything apart. Stay tuned....there will be other happenings on the Little Red Wagon very soon.

• Like Like x 2
                  • 7mopar

7moparWell-Known Member

Just got to like those exclusive parts suppliers. There was probably no way of knowing in advance and then knowing which ones to order?

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • LocuMob

LocuMobFluid Technician

Look forward to seeing the swap, and whatever else you have planned.

Some vendors do tell you where to get some items they sell at a substantial markup. I love it when they do that, usually I buy more from them after that happens.

• Agree Agree x 1