• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Dodge 700

70chall440

Reaction score
As my first post on this forum, I present you with my newly acquired Dodge 700. This is a 76 truck that was state owned most of its life. It has a 318 with an Allison 4 speed auto trans. Overall, the truck is in decent shape although there are some rust issues in the cowl and drivers side floor.

My intent is to try and make this into a car hauler or a more usable hauler, however I haven't quite figured out how I am going to accomplish this. If I could lower it, that would be helpful but I don't think it is possible or conducive to it being able to haul anything. Have thought about a tilt bed which is kind of the direction I am leaning. Dodge 700-02.jpg

Dodge 700-02.jpg

I see there are a lot of dump kits on the market, not sure if they will get me where I need to be but interesting to look into.

I am considering lowering the truck, thinking of flipping the axles on top of the springs.

One thing that might be a concern would be the ability of the U-bolts to support the weight of the truck AND the weight of the vehicles you'll be hauling. I don't know if it's a legitimate concern, but tht's a lot more stress on them than what you would have had otherwise. Bigger brains here might know the answer. I know it'd be more work but you might have to consider modifying your frame and spring hangers. You'll definitely have to modify the bed for tire clearance if you drop the bed down.

Very good point and one I hadn't considered . After looking at this yet one more time and while I think the truck being lowered would be cool, I do not need another time consuming costly project of that magnitude. I am back to thinking that a tilting bed is a better path.

The other questions that come up are whether the wheel base is long enough for another 4' to be added (it is 12' 6" now and I would like 16") and how to tilt the bed.

I think I'd start scouring the internet for truck/trailer/equipment suppliers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rollback-Tr...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ae5e2e66b&vxp=mtr

$_57.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Jerr-Dan...ack-/331454825407?hash=item4d2c3f43bf&vxp=mtr

$_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-ft-JerrDan-Jerr-Dan-Aluminum-Rollback-Body-w-Stinger-2-car-1988-F450-/121600870079?hash=item1c4ffa06bf&vxp=mtr

$_57b.jpg

If you search for JERR-DAN or rollback, you may get some hits. - And your best buy may be to purchase a truck that already has one on it.

$_57.jpg

$_12.JPG

$_57b.jpg

I have thought about all of this and you are right, it would be easier to just buy a truck that already has a rollback on it. But I have never been known to do the easy thing so we will see what direction I go. The other issue for me is brand, it is difficult to find a dodge truck with a rollback on it and the fact that I now have a truck makes it more appealing to me to modify it.

I was hoping you'd be able to find a truck that has had all the work done on it but has a bad drivetrain/body. If they sold it cheap enough you might be able to transfer the bed/controls to your Dodge. If you do go with a roll back/tilt bed, the cost of the hydraulics, the bed, the controls, etc get to be pretty pricey. I've seen some flatbeds sold cheap in the past. Maybe a salvage yard somewhere will have a bargain. If I spot anything that might help you out I'll post the links.

I think a rollback would work better than a dump bed if you are intending using it primarily as a car hauler. How much bed do you presently had in front of the rear axle?

IMG_1105.jpgIMG_1106.jpgIMG_1107.jpgIMG_1108.jpgIMG_1113.jpg
I think a rollback would work better than a dump bed if you are intending using it primarily as a car hauler. How much bed do you presently had in front of the rear axle?

There is 8-10' in front of the rear axle. The bed is 12' 6" long in total. I think I need at least a 16' bed, so I was thinking I needed to add 4' or so. I don't know if I will use the truck primarily as a car hauler or not. I like the concept of having it but to be honest I have 2 car trailers and don't really haul cars all that much (despite having a lot of them). Perhaps I like the "concept" more than the reality of it. That said, I know I will do something with it, just not sure what. My concept was to be able to load a car onto it while still being able to haul other things like lumber. My 52 PU would look good on the back of it though :)

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

Decided to begin work on the D700 again, had to put a starter in it and tune it up. Still have to fix a wicked exhaust leak on the right side. Then there is all of the misc wires that people have put in over the years along with some rust issues (more important of the 2 issues). The cowl area is rust out and a patch on the drivers side floor board.

I am not sure what draws me to this truck, by all intents it is just big truck that I really don't need, but something about it I really like; its like going to the humane society and getting that puppy that you don't need but feel an overwhelming urge to rescue.

its like going to the humane society and getting that puppy that you don't need but feel an overwhelming urge to rescue.

Nicely put! It's a cool old big truck. If needs dictated our lives I think most of the population would have a minivan. It's a good thing want is a more powerful motivator, otherwise life could be a lot more boring.

Back