• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Distributor Access on a 99 Ram 5.2 engine

multimopes

Reaction score
What is the secret, aside from adding an extra joint or two to my arms and flexible bones, to reaching the distributor to change the cap, rotor, and wires......(A tune up) ???? I already changed the plugs and need therapy from that alone! Damn, you must have to be a contortionist! Of course if ya pull the motor, it would be easy!!!Actually, in thinking about it, the easy way is pay someone else to do it! LOL

Just building the slig and lift to lay on to even reach or see it is enough. What ever happened to the cap spring clips anyway? Have fun with the screw clip anchor thingies.
Other wise remove the front clip and move the cab back plenty of room for access then. ( just being funny)

With the air filter housing off, I reach over the engine while standing on milk crate or stool. If I have to I will lay across the engine. If you wanna road trip I will do it for you:D

Yes, Yes.........I want the road trip............Pretty Please!You can have all the DRAFT BEER you can drink !!!!!!!!!!
Actually it wouldn't be that bad if the distributor had the old style (clips). With Phillips head screws, that you can't see, it sure makes the job much more fun! Add the fact that I am getting pretty decrepit myself, it makes me want to go back to my old 82 Ramcharger where I could reach everything easily and had room to have lunch while sitting in the engine compartment. :wacky:

Plenty of room on the old 82 just need a ladder to get there. At present mileage per year will be another 10 years before cap and rotor needs changed.

Update,
I installed the wires cap and rotor yesterday! It weren't as bad as I thought,,,errrr It Sucked! Actually I removed the air cleaner and laid some garbage across the battery and with a hand mirror was able to see and reach the distributor cap screws. Got drunk first which emboldened me to try it. It always helps eliminate stress! Thanks for the replies!!!

Back