• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

DEATH WOBBLE

HEMI-ITIS

Behind the wheel
Reaction score
Have the brake issue squared way took a 40 mile highway errand.65/70 MPH and hit a bump and got the death wobble cut off a few cars to get to the shoulder and dry my pants.96 2500 HD with 06 wheels.Recently changed the track bar.Looking at the truck,I have no clue how old the shocks and steering damper areo_O.What shocks do you guys use and like? I'll replace them all before ant of the "kits" offered.I bought a kit from a guy in Texas,it's a piece of PVC that slips onto the steering shaft at the bottom of the column:wideyed:

I've had good luck with the gas charged Monroe Magnums in the past although I've not used 'em on a 3/4 ton yet, both mine have decent shocks yet.

Check all the front end parts, tie rods, ball joints, etc.. Check the steering shock for sure. The kits I have seen to hold the steering box don't have any plastic in them. The bracket across the frame, a new special nut for the pitman arm and a pillow block bearing.

I have also seen tires cause death wobble so I'd doule check the weight rating on your tires. Back when I worked on cars for a living we had a truck come in and it weighed just a few pounds shy of the weigh rating, dry. So once you put any people in it or cargo it was over. We found that the sidewalls were flexing in and out causing the wobble.

Back