• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Custom Filler Necks

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
How would you hide a gas filler neck if you customized your truck or added a tank? My case is a 72 stepside box. I have the in cab tank and was asked about moving it using a RamCharger tank. I don't plan on going that route but if I was, I think I'd take a piece of wood in the bed and cut it so I have a flush, well concealed filler door in the floor. The truck will sit high enough not o one will see it, but I'd like it out of sight if it was to be seen.

What would you do?

IIRC the filler neck on those things is long enough you could probably hide in in the wheel well. You'd likely want to shield it from mud and such, but that wouldn't be hard.

IIRC the filler neck on those things is long enough you could probably hide in in the wheel well. You'd likely want to shield it from mud and such, but that wouldn't be hard.
It would be easier to fill. I'd have to drop the tailgate every time I juiced up.

Stepside bed or regular bed. If a regular bed I'd recess into the bed rail. Make it pop up you know push and release, like the old school glass on the stereo racks. I'm moving my tank well, fuel cell to the the back between the frame rails. I'm going to cut the old tank filler door, weld the hole with some sheet metal then weld the old filler door for the filler back by the tail light area.

My bad, still waking up. I like your idea. I'd do it in the same spot except I'd do one of those recessed turn locks. You know "D" ring handle, polished aluminum, nice and clean. I think behind the plate would make for difficult filling of the tank since, the neck would be just about straight level. I would think fuel would back up to the filler nozzle and kick it off, you know these new fillers they have. I own a 2010 G/Caravan and, every time I go to Murphy's gas station I have problems like that.

what about a viper cap assembly , looking for a reason to put this on . as you can see , it ate small . lol .

DSC09312.JPG

DSC09313.JPG

DSC09314.JPG

DSC09315.JPG

That would work. The only thing you would need to do is if you recess it you need to make a little drain hole for rain but, it will most definitely work and be totally cool.

Hey one other thing is make sure the gasket fully seals. I've worked on a few Jag's xjs with the pop up filler that have had the seal go bad and, they would get water and other trash into the fuel system.

How would you hide a gas filler neck if you customized your truck or added a tank? My case is a 72 stepside box. I have the in cab tank and was asked about moving it using a RamCharger tank. I don't plan on going that route but if I was, I think I'd take a piece of wood in the bed and cut it so I have a flush, well concealed filler door in the floor. The truck will sit high enough not o one will see it, but I'd like it out of sight if it was to be seen.

What would you do?
Why not put the tank to the rear, between frame rails, and filler neck on side of bed, behind right rear fender, like the older power wagons, and the little red truck.

The Lil Red filler neck is on the driver's side between the exhaust stack and the fender. Not enough room behind the fender with the short box.

-I'v actually thought to take mine and remove the external pipes (I have 2 fill pipes as I have 2 fuel tanks) and french them into the FENDERS of my truck, with an old school Muscle Car chrome cap.... Shielded on the inside from dirt, mud, rock, you name it coming off the tires. -One on each side.... (I DO however have a cross-over pipe that keeps both tanks evenly filled..... SO I could just do one, but I got 2 so....)

Just a thought, I don't know how much that would/will happen, but its been a thought for when I redo my truck!

Back