• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Compatibility question for you guys

Reaction score
Is there any difference in '87 or earlier small blocks/727's in the d or w series trucks to A/B/E bodies and etc? For example if I wanted to take a early to mid 70's 360 and a mid 80's 4wd 727/t-case, would everything bolt up or would there be issues with mounts, shaft lengths, trans not bolting up (with sb bellhousing of course), etc? TIA, looking at a 73 360 and my current '87 4wd 727 in my w150

The tailshaft would have to be removed from the 2wd trans, and I suppose the output shaft, swap that with the extension and bolt the transfer case up. Unless it's a Magnum, I believe it should bolt right in, Magnum engines used different engine mounts. Just remembered you said 87, should be good to go!

The only thing would be a difference between 318 and 360, you'd need the correct torque converter for either one. Otherwise it's just a matter of the right transmission for the application, but the LA series engines all had the same trans. mounting pattern, 273, 318, 340, and 360. Oh, and the 360 had a little different driver's side engine mounting setup, just need the right mount.

Back