• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Changed my Passenger door today

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I switched out my passenger door today on my 96 Dakota. The lower hinge was broken and it had been welded a couple times as a temporary repair. I was lucky enough to find a very clean door the same color and the same body side molding. I had to change internals because the donor door had power windows and locks. I removed the lock solenoid and the regulator and wiring harness. Not a bad job but the biggest pain is the hinge bolts. You have to loosen the fender to gain access. One thing I forgot to do is change the outside handle/ lock cylinder. I'll have to figure out how the attachment spring works to get it off. tmm

My 1996 driver's door lower hinge completely broke off now, was welded once already. Wondering if someone can tell me more specifically which fasteners for the fender need to be loosened or removed and where they are located so that I can access the hinge bolts? Is it possible to just knock out the hinge pins?

Back