• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

CATALYTIC CONVERTER/AIR PUMP

86D100

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an 86 d100 with a slant six/4 speed. The leanburn is gone and mopar electronic ignition has been installed in its place. I received the truck with just one cat on it and straight pipped (was a joy on the high way lol). All the emission stuff was deleted off (by the previous owner) so i been trying to unfubar the thing somewhat. I did go ahead and install new 2 1/4" pipe attached to the down pipe with a new high flow secondary cat (believe its a 3 way). My question is can i just have the one high flow cat without the smog pump hooked up or would it be beneficial to plumb in a new air injection line into a new down pipe minus the first cat. or when i go to fab up a new down pipe should i weld in another cat and plumb a new A.I.R line to that or just leave the smog pump/line off all together. I had my fill of exhaust fabrication for a bit lol so id rather not melt/toast the cat(s) anytime soon. Also if i should go the route of the smog pump should the diverter valve be hooked up to manifold vacuum or ported vacuum (the pipe going to the cylinder head wont be installed).

cat 1.jpg

cat2.jpg

Did they have more than one cat? Does it still have to original fuel system? If you can get away with one, I sure would not mess with two. I would weld in a bug just for tuning purposes and simply ditch the rest. Not sure I would have even left any guts in the cat. Most here just beat the guts out of the old one and put it back on for looks and the fact it needs to be there if anyone cares. That's why I have an 82.

If your state allows it, emissions wise, I wouldn't worry about an air pump. Just more useless smog junk the manufacturer's had to put on back in the day to meet emissions standards. If you're running the cat, just keep using un-leaded fuel & you'll be fine. Some states are pretty strict about their emissions equipment though, so I would check first.

You can run a Cat if you wish, but from what I read if the truck is over 25 years old it doesn't need testing

You can run a Cat if you wish, but from what I read if the truck is over 25 years old it doesn't need testing
That depends upon where you live. It may not need snog testing but the cat still a federal requirement if someone want to get crappy about it. It's there and new just run unleaded and forget about it. I have the air pump off the 360 laying around somewhere. Just seen it last week. Anyway, it's not on the truck.

That depends upon where you live. It may not need snog testing but the cat still a federal requirement if someone want to get crappy about it. It's there and new just run unleaded and forget about it. I have the air pump off the 360 laying around somewhere. Just seen it last week. Anyway, it's not on the truck.
I live in va pretty sure it just has to have a cat to "comply". Ill probably just fab a new down pipe and just run the one without the smog pump.

Did they have more than one cat? Does it still have to original fuel system? If you can get away with one, I sure would not mess with two. I would weld in a bug just for tuning purposes and simply ditch the rest. Not sure I would have even left any guts in the cat. Most here just beat the guts out of the old one and put it back on for looks and the fact it needs to be there if anyone cares. That's why I have an 82.
It had 2 from the factory with the air/smog pump line running to the first cat (all the emission stuff is missing). Ya ill probably just end up ditching the first one and using the new one thats welded in there only and make a port upstream for an air fuel ratio gauge

Same setup my 85 originally had. (But wasn't all still there when I got it, the air pump was gone)
I replied to your post over on the slant 6 site.
My take is if the powers that be where you live aren't demanding any of what you are talking about, parts that aren't there can't fail and cause you problems. In that case "repair by elimination" works.

Same setup my 85 originally had. (But wasn't all still there when I got it, the air pump was gone)
I replied to your post over on the slant 6 site.
My take is if the powers that be where you live aren't demanding any of what you are talking about, parts that aren't there can't fail and cause you problems. In that case "repair by elimination" works.
Mine wasnt all there either it was butchered how you talked about over there on the slant 6 site. They haven't said anything yet so probably gonna go that route with just the good one. Hunting down them old parts is near impossible for a slant lol.

If they are not going to look don't worry about it. The feds require a cat and you have one on it. Call it good.

Correct, but I looked up the requirements for VA

• If your vehicle is being registered for the first time in Virginia and has a current valid emissions certificate (performed in the last 12 months), it may be titled and registered without a Virginia emissions inspection.
  • Motor vehicles exempted from emissions inspections include:
    • Motorcycles
    • Autocycle; a three-wheeled motor vehicle that has a steering wheel and seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride and is manufactured to comply with federal safety requirements for motorcycles. Except as otherwise provided, an autocycle shall not be deemed to be a motorcycle.
    • Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year that is more than 25 years old before January 1 of the current calendar year.As an example, vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009; vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010.Vehicles 25 years old or older qualify as antique motor vehicles but are not required to display antique license plates to qualify for the emissions exemption. Although exempt from the emissions inspection, the $2 emissions fee is required when renewing these registrations.
    • Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a manufacturer's designated gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds.

(update after much deliberating/attempt at part hunting) if anyone is looking for the down pipe without the cat. for the slant six on d100/d150 Waldron can custom order you one for a decent price (165 plus the ride). I believe its similar to the old walker exhaust 44958 that is no longer made. Looks like it should fit my 86 pretty nicely.

exhaustppg.jpg

You need the O2 bug for something on the truck or do you have a piece of equipment to plug to it for tuning?

You need the O2 bug for something on the truck or do you have a piece of equipment to plug to it for tuning?
I was going to install an air fuel ratio gauge but i might plug it and install it a smidge further down. It came pre-installed already

Last edited:
I was going to install an air fuel ratio gauge but i might plug it and install it a smidge further down. It came pre-installed already
Any particular reason to move it down. O2 sensors are exposed to high heat.

Back