• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Carb choices need a little CFM help

Lomax

Reaction score
Right now the 79 f-100 were restoring is out for paint. Getting ready to get the motor done up but not sure what I wanna do (or need) for the carb. I am going to swap it over to a 4bbl. The engine will be stock other than an aftermarket 4bbl intake (truck is a factory 2bbl) and headers. Most everyone on the planet thinks you just throw a 600cfm edelbrock on everything and it works. My math says that much more carb than a 302 needs, especially for something that will be driven almost daily. Im thinking that somewhere around a 500cfm would be better suited but I wanted to get some input before making the purchase. Im not brand biased either, Doesnt matter if its a holley or an edelbrock. There both good carbs.
-Will

Right now the 79 f-100 were restoring is out for paint. Getting ready to get the motor done up but not sure what I wanna do (or need) for the carb. I am going to swap it over to a 4bbl. The engine will be stock other than an aftermarket 4bbl intake (truck is a factory 2bbl) and headers. Most everyone on the planet thinks you just throw a 600cfm edelbrock on everything and it works. My math says that much more carb than a 302 needs, especially for something that will be driven almost daily. Im thinking that somewhere around a 500cfm would be better suited but I wanted to get some input before making the purchase. Im not brand biased either, Doesnt matter if its a holley or an edelbrock. There both good carbs.
-Will

600cfms will pretty much run on anything with out much knowledge of tuning, I think that is why a lot of guys run them. I would run the 500cfm. You will still get some decent power over the stock 2bbl. The optimal for good cruisin/power/ and fuel economy in my opinion is if you put in a cam that was a little over stock to wake it up a bit along with that 500cfm. With that combo you be way farther a head than just putting on a 600cfm carb.

I agree with MoparDude The stock 2bbl is around 350-375 cfm a best a 600 would work good with a larger than stock cam that carries about 1000 more rpm than the stock cam. 500 cfm will work great

Ima go with a 500. Im ordering a fresh short block in the nest week or too and it will have a stock cam. That'll be good enough. I building the truck for my dad, its not gonna be no hot rod lol

Back