• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can anybody tell me what the heck my truck is ???

bluwolff

Reaction score
She's supposed to be a 1987 Dakota. She's a two door, 4 wheel drive auto. with a 3.9L V6, so far so good. I just bought this truck Saturday, I do my best to learn everything I can about my vehicles, running her vin, tells me that she's a single cab, oops , she's an extended cab, and a strange one at that. the roof of the extended cab is about 3 to 4 inches higher than the drivers cab, and its got a little window up there looking forward, the seat back there is also wide enough to sleep on, she's got a roll bar back there, and two mini? roll bars on either side of the seat with arm rests on them. I can't find anything else that looks like her. Can anyone tell me what this is ? Thank you so much,

Dakota?

Might be a custom bodied truck. Remember seeing a lot of Toyotas and Datsuns back then, think one was called a space cab. Don't remember the company name but shouldn't be hard to look up in some period mags. Or at worse it could be a rebody. Or some kind of camper conversion. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I have tried all day to get a picture on here, it's not happening. So best I can do Hope it works, and thank you, I really appreciate the info. Liane

2vwfva8.jpg

That's cool looking. I do know that there were several aftermarket companies making mods to new vehicles for special purpose use. Usually there is a tag or a id plate somewhere to give you a clue. Interesting truck for sure.

Thank you guys so much, you're all awesome! I am still searching, but no luck, although I have found some pictures of similar trucks, nothing tells me who did it :( she runs great, needs a little TLC to freshen her up :) you can't see my other baby in this pic, but I blew up her engine, she's a 98 ford contour. 2.0 vin 3 after 1/22/98 fwd auto. she used to do 0 to 90 in about 9 secs. I really miss her, and staying true to course I can't find an engine for her! there were only 2% of those cars made with that engine. I just seem to have some luck picking up cars that are hard to identify / repair :) but I will continue.. love the truck mitch :)

Looks like a custom one off or dealer or customer sent out, to have it altered...
almost looks like a small sleeper

Back