• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

bird bath hoods on newer D/W trucks

volaredon

Reaction score
1st... what do you guys think.. yay or nay? I kind of like the way they look.
2nd... what is different about the cowl panel (louvered panel at base of windshield) between the bird bath hood equipped trucks and the newer ones? All I've ever heard, is that you have to get the cowl panel from the donor truck that the bird bath hood came from, but never knew why. I have an 85 D150 that I am working on, my son has a bird bath hood Im thinking of using on my 85.
3rd/// what about transplanting the 80s Ram head hood ornament, to a bird bath hood? Would that look stupid?
also looking into a newer club cab truck (still square body, havent seen the grille yet to tell, I think its a 90-91-92-93 truck....) drive by it daily, see it sitting at back of a guys yard, never moves, just found out who's truck it is so I can see if it can be had/ if I got that one, Id like to do the bird bath hood on that, too......
just some random thoughts. Want input, more random thoughts and ideas from you guys.

Here is the best photo I have of my 76 D100 Birdbath hood & cowl. Don't know what a cowl on an 85 looks like so I can't tell you the difference.
IMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2946.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2946.JPG
    IMG_2946.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 349
A customer of mine brought a 87 D150 in for some engine work and didn't have the hood on it, he brought in a bird bath hood like the one in the pic's above and it fit on the truck, but like mentioned the cowl is wrong and the hood latch is also wrong. From what I saw on this customers 87 he would have needed the older hood latch to hold it shut and the cowl to make it look correct. He brought in the correct hood for the truck

87 ram.jpg

87 ram2.jpg

Happen to remember what was different just in case all my cowls are the new type. I was thinking one out in the shed was of a 74.
Could be if some one really wanted the look on the newer trucks some cutting and welding would solve the problem. But that is something few want to do in this day of instant bolt on gratification.

So what's your take on how this would look on an 85?
Decent or too out of place?
My truck is 2 tone maroon and white.
I'm planning on a complete repaint, but don't wanna stray too far on color because my interior is that color and quite decent.
That is unless I can get someone with either a green or blue interior that's at least as nice,to swap me, straight up. Then I'd do a complete color change.haha

No haven't forgot. Will get to the crowl one of these days as the shed they are in needs to be moved. Not even sure what all is in that shed any more.

Yup. And that's part of what I was asking to begin with "what's the difference in cowls between the 2 hoods? And will the inside cable release work with the bird bath hood's latck?

I can't tell you the exact difference between the 2, but when we tried to put the bird bath hood on my customers 87, the cowl didn't line up requiring the cowl for the bird bath hood and the hood latch didn't line up with the bird bath either, maybe it could have been modified to work but he brought in the correct hood.

A
Yup. And that's part of what I was asking to begin with "what's the difference in cowls between the 2 hoods? And will the inside cable release work with the bird bath hood's latck?
As soon as I can get out there, we will know. Right now, pain pills are being used just to get around in the house.

Ok I get that. Let me know. I just got the fresh motor in/ haven't had it running yet so far, still gotta put the accessories on and get the kickdown linkage/ cable sorted out, since I also swapped to a super 6 setup in the process of the motor swap, (yeah I stayed with a /6 in this truck) and as we know, how easy it isn't, to find actual super 6 linkage so I have to fabricate (cobble?) something for that
I'm hoping to jump in with both feet on the body work this winter. Just looking for parts I need/want as the gettin gets good so I have everything here when this fall/winter gets here.

ok... long overdue update
Last summer I went to a local junkyard that still has many 60s-70s vehicles within, being swallowed up by overgrowth. I found a '74 that had the birdbath hood, but it was crunched. Too bad because it was clean and no rust. I got the cowl, wiper pivots and (I believe) all the hood latch parts. They had a 75 that was further out i9n the overgrowth that had a perfect hood, asked my son for help on a Saturday to go after it, and the family who owned this yard has had a personal tragedy and the yard has been closed since. But last night my son showed up out of the blue with a super clean nice birdbath hood and cowl.... that I wasnt expecting, came from somewhere besides this junkyard because they didnt have any of these trucks "that" color of the hood he brought me. so I now have everythig Im gonna need to go "either way" with either stock (for 85) flat hood and now everything needed to put either hood onto my truck.... money and time has been short so progress has slowed, unfortunately/

Don't make offers to help someone if you are unable to follow through.
It is BS to lead someone to think help is coming when it never does. If you are not capable of getting around, don't even bother making offers.

A closeup pic of the two cowls would really help to see difference. Is that too hard?

I have both and if there is a difference, I can't find it. One will sit right on top of the other no matter how arranged.

Back