• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Axle swap for disc brakes and gear ratio

augiepaw

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 74' W100 with 8.75 rear end and 3.55 gears. The front is a Dana 44 with 3.54. I want to replace the drum brake on the front for discs. I picked up another front axle with discs, auto hubs and 3.23 gears. Would 3.55 in the rear and 3.23 in the front be to much difference? I think my math skills says it's 9% difference. I was thinking about swapping the complete axles, rather than knocking of the end and swapping them. Any thoughts?

It would be just fine as long as you never engaged the front axle, however I think that's a full time setup so that wouldn't work.

The newer axle has auto hubs, the original has manual, I can just swap the hubs, can't I?

I wasn't sure how far you could be apart from the front to the back. 1%, 5%, 10%? Is there a magic number. I just figured I'd swap the hubs. Thanks

GO and swap the hubs or you need to change your tyre size to match the axle ratio and it will be tricky.... what about swapping the steering knuckle, spindle hub and disc it could be done on a dana 44

Last edited:
-.01 difference in ratio front to rear. The idea is to transfer power to the front axle in 4 wheel with out dragging the rear..

Don't remember the seller I bought heard from, but they told me 3.90, 3.91, and 3.92 could mix and match, but anything more and it's a cluster f#*k. You'd have little tires up front and big ones out back if you swapped asked without doing anything.

Back