• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anybody on here ever install a 426 Hemi in a late 70's Dodge truck?

hemichuck

Reaction score
i just picked up a 1979 Dodge step side pickup and would like to drop my 472 Hemi into it. Has anybody here done this swap? I'd love to ask a few questions about headers and motor mounts to see how you did it.

I have seen one in a little red. Looked right at home. The guys decessed and I have no idea what happened to the truck. Is your 472 the late MP side mount or early front mount pads? Personally would use engine plates and set it where it needs to be.

I saw a 426 in a 1975 D100 at MOPARS at the Rock, Rockingham, NC. That was in 2013. I have pictures on print film. Could scan them and post here. Maybe this weekend.

Seven is right, motor plates and a mid plate would be the way to go. I would still use a insulated rear trans mount. You'll going to end up fabricating a trans crossmeber which you could incorporate your driveshaft loop into. The plates will allow you to set up your angles and will make your header fabrication much less difficult. You definitely want a good full length header with that many cubic inches. Street, drag or both?

Even with a motor plate for mounting I have seen where guy's have rigged a cushion mount where the plate mounts to the chassis

What did you do for headers? Did you have any clearance problems with the brake booster or anything else? What did you do for mounts?

Back