• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Another new Dakota

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well not new but new to me. It's a 96 SLT. 3.9/auto PS,PB, Air, AM/FM/Cassette/cruise/tilt/power mirrors/lumbar seat. Looks like it has about everything but power locks and windows. It's a solid truck and spent a lot of it's time in Arizona so it doesn't look like a Iowa rust bucket. The paint is peeling off the hood so I am getting that taken care of before I drive it. I know, it looks like an old man's pickup with the topper on it. I recycle a lot of cardboard boxes with my tool business and it will keep them dry until I get enough for a trip to the recycling bins. I needed an extra vehicle because my oldest son has my 2000 Dakota. tmm

082202951011[00].jpg

082202951011[01].jpg

082202951011[02].jpg

082202951011[03].jpg

It seems to be in good shape but it needs a good scrubbing and a little polish. It has been setting under a soft maple tree and lots of leaves in the cowl vent area. We peeled the hood and cowl vent off to repaint and I took the plastic grate off exposing the wiper levers. There were a couple of handfulls of fine leaves in there. I'll blow and rinse that area out good b/4 we reinstall the hood and cowl louvers. It wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure the heater/ac case is clean too and that the drains aren't plugged. I'll have to pose a few shots after I get it cleaned up. tmm

These little trucks are kinda the ugly stepchilds of the Dakota family. It is more comfortable to set in and drive than my 2000 though. tmm

I need to get my work done so I can play today. LOL My friend Dave media blasted the hood and cowl vent and painted them. He also scuffed the passenger upper door frame and touched up a couple places om the lower front fenders. I am going to scrub and clean everything today and just check it all over. It might need some fluids changed. I need to check the fuses and get the radio working again. Fun fun fun. I also need to check the driveshaft. I have a vibration that starts about 35 mph and it looks like the u-joints are all original. tmm

I have a car cruise today Reb. I will post some after photos tonight or tomorrow. It cleaned up nice. I haven't done anything with the interior yet but it's a long weekend right. Mike

Thanks Reb. I can see in your avatar that the hood paint is peeling too. I had a friend media blast and paint mine.

Back