• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Aftermarket parts mess

jamesdaytona

Reaction score
I am building an 87 Ramcharger , and used an Edelbrock dual plane intake and Edelbrock carb . Now I can't run my A/C , cause the heater hose nipple is directly below my compressor , my kickdown linkage is too short , and I have purchased 4 throttle cables trying to get one to fit . Still can't find the right one . I have always used factory parts on my cars , but I was talked into going aftermarket " cause it looks cool " . Now I'm screwed . I have a fresh 400 horse 360 , never started , going to waste in my driveway . Any suggestions ? I really don't want to waste my 340 intake and carb on this project , my 70 340 is complete and I'd like to keep it that way .

There's nothing wrong with the parts you picked . It just take's a little tweeking to make them work right . Here's a shot of the throttle bracket that I modified for my small block . As far as the by pass hose go's ? I'd have to see what your dealing with but I've run after market intakes with AC in the past . I hope you did'nt get talked into putting to big a carb on that small block . Bigger is'nt allway's better .

IMG_0059.jpg

Look at Mancini Racing for a taller throttle and return spring setup or you can go with a Lokar throttle cable and kickdown cable setup. Bouchellon Performane also has a kickdown cable setup and they are Mopar.

Look at Mancini Racing for a taller throttle and return spring setup or you can go with a Lokar throttle cable and kickdown cable setup. Bouchellon Performane also has a kickdown cable setup and they are Mopar.
x2. I run the Lokar kickdown cable. Works perfect

Edelbrock_2176.jpg
If you have the later style jap AC compressor ( mid 80s-93) there is only one aftermarket manifold with the offset water neck, that is a standard Edelbrock Performer (pictured). Note the offset water neck. 4 barrel engines use a taller throttle cable/kickdown bracket to clear the runners in the manifold. Not hard to find if there are any decent junkyards near you. If not, somebody here or on the FABO site can surely help you out.

Hope this helps, Alan

Edelbrock_2176.jpg

Last edited:
You doesn't specify if its the nipple on the water pump or the intake that is in the way of the AC and I am going to assume you mean the intake because i am not all the familiar how the AC sits on that year. For that you can get nipple instead of using the stock straight up and down nipple you can get a 90 nipple to screw in there.

As far kick down and accelerator cables go I hear Lokar's are nice but my personal preference is the kick down cable Bouchillion Performance sells, than you buy there accelerator cable bracket that they make and than the stock accelerator cable in the vehicle will work (or at least any mopar I have ever owned it has. There bracket mounts to the back carb stud and gets everything right in line where it should be.

I agree with what Bear says about not putting to big of carb on that small block. I have struggled many a times and bought a lot of carbs that I ended up selling at swap for a lot less that I bought for.

As far kick down and accelerator cables go I hear Lokar's are nice but my personal preference is the kick down cable Bouchillion Performance sells, than you buy there accelerator cable bracket that they make and than the stock accelerator cable in the vehicle will work (or at least any mopar I have ever owned it has. There bracket mounts to the back carb stud. I use a Bouchillion kit. There kit takes all the guess work out & the ratio for the throttle &the trans pressure lever are corrected. My cruise bolts up & looks factory too

I've always tried to stay pure Mopar too, and use Mancini a lot. However, with one of my current trucks ( a 360/904 combo) Plymouth Arrow pickup, I went to Lokar for the throttle pedal, cable, and kickdown linkages. They work great, and are more elegant than the factory parts.

Back