• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

98 Ram SS/T Redo

dusted72

Reaction score
I have a thread over on the A-body site but this one will be more in depth I hope. From the beginning, I got it on Wednesday around 3 p.m. after spending all day flying home from Iraq for mid tour leave for 15 days. I got a smoking deal on it, I paid less then 10 percent of the base price of $16,260. The original price was around 24k and isn't the most optioned truck ever built either but it has what matters. A 5.9l with 3.55 limited slip and it only has 89XXX miles on it. It ran really rough when I got her so before I ever went home I made a trip to Autozone. I bought new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, and oil and filter. Spent the next morning cleaning under the hood and giving her a good bath. She isn't perfect but from about 10 feet she looks pretty good if I do say so myself. The previous owner told me that it had all new brakes, rotors, calipers, wheel cylinders,and drums except the left front. He screwed up one of the lug nuts and couldn't get it off. Screwed up is an under statement, there was nothing left to get a hold of. All that was left was the tapered part the seats in the rim. So I unbolted the caliper and removed the center cap from the rim and pulled the dust cap off the rotor and removed the spindle nut and removed the rim/rotor/caliper as a unit. I took it down to a local mechanic shop and they cut the stud off the rotor from the backside. I came home put on the new rotor and caliper that came with the truck bled the brakes slapped the rim back on and called it good. Afer that I gave her a good tune up, she ran really rough when I got her but she SCREAMS now!!! From a dead stop she will light them both up for about 50 feet. I also replaced the crappy aftermarket radio with a factory CD/Cassette/AM/FM I got off Ebay while I was in Kuwait waiting for my flight. First pics are as I bought her.

DSC00277.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see you here dusted72, I am glad you are home enjoying some home time and looks like you have kept your self busy.
The SS/T is sure looking great, these are some great photo's that I did not get to see at fabo.
Thank you so much for your service you do to keep us safe to enjoy our families and ride's, You know me sir.
I drive Victoria, and know building a ramcharger here I call RAM WAGON, it will be a chase Vesical for our dare program one day.
I am so happy you ended up with that cool SS/T big Hemi truck, Keep us posted on you moves sir
Your Arkansas friend on the hill me:welcome: Mike

Look'in good dusted72 . What are your future plan's for it ? That 360 should pull that truck pritty good . There's one in the 4x4 sport I just picked up not to long ago . So far I have a reprogramed PCM , cat back , and a fresh air system and mine screw's even in 4 wheel drive . So wheather you keep it stock or tweek it a little , I think you'll be happy with it . Just don't use to much of your leave working on it and go out and injoy it for a while .

I want to go through everything and freshen it all up. I will eventually be building an engine for it not sure if it will be a stroker but it will be plenty powerful whatever it is. I want 450+ hp. Right now from a dead stop she burns them both about 40 or 50 feet then goes like hell. I am gonna clean her up a little better then drive her some more before I head back to Iraq on the 30th of this month.

The truck looks great and sound like you got a SMOKIN deal on it. It's amazing what a little time and elbow grease will do for a vehicle. Keep us posted on your progress. THANK YOU for your service and be safe!!!

Ok it seems my 4 year old would rather ride in my truck then her momma's van so we have taken it everywhere since I got it. So today I was really looking at the carpet while we were driving to the doctor and it was nasty, I mean absolutely disgusting. So nap time comes around and I was feeling froggy so out comes the seats, it's time to shampoo the carpet. I will let the pics do most of the talking but here are the results of a little scrubbing with Tough Stuff fabric cleaner. It isn't perfect by no means but way better then before. Will be several sets of pics to follow.

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

Ok so Sunday I took out the seats and found the source of the bad smell. Looks like a few sodas were spilled between the seats and were never cleaned.

DSC00415.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00417.jpg

DSC00418.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00421.jpg

DSC00422.jpg

So it isn't perfect but it is a lot better then it was. I can live with it till I get some new carpet now, and boy does it smell better.

DSC00424.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

DSC00428.jpg

DSC00431.jpg

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

So I got the seats put back in yesterday morning while my little one was at preschool and I was in a bit of a rush cause she wanted me to pick her up in it so I didn't get to paint the seat legs. They are kinda rusty and will get painted when it all comes back apart for new carpet.

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

I have been looking at the paint on the truck since I got it and it needed some attention as well. So I went and bought some Turtle Wax rubbing compound the red paste stuff and some Turtle Wax white liquid compound stuff and went to work with my little cheap orbital polisher that I had. The previous owner had driven from MO to NC with a tarp pulled over the bed sides and it had beat the paint to a matte finish in a large protion of the bed including the tailgate. I worked slowly starting with the red then on to the white compound. After I was done I finished it off with a good hand polished coat of Meguiars Gold Class wax. All I can say is WOW!! This has become a totally new truck, clean interior, shiny clean paint, detailed underhood, new tune up. Sure don't look like or perform like a $1500 truck I can tell you that.

DSC00463.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00477.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

DSC00479.jpg

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

Here are the last few after I finished cleaning her up. Now all I have to do is enjoy driving her till I get back from the desert.

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00490.jpg

DSC00492.jpg

That thing looks AWESOME! Great job and by the way that's a cool lookin little wiener dog you have there......

Thanks. Yeah that's Dugg, he is called a double dapple. I went in the garage and came back out and caught him in there. He's a hot mess.

Ok here are a few from my little wheel cleaning adventure. The rims were absolutely covered in brake dust and the clear is peeling. So I figured what they hey, I grabbed one of those no scratch scuff pads from the kitchen and some red rubbing compound and went to work. They came out pretty good but the clear is still peeling, they just aren't dirty now. Also I removed a hand full of sheet metal screws that were screwed into the floor of the bed, don't know why but they were.

DSC00633.jpg

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

Here are just few I took after it was clean at a local lake on the back side of Fort Bragg. Of course I had to test the limited-slip to make sure it was functioning properly. :)

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

Looking forward to a safe return home dusted72 :typing: You sure have your SS/T looking great :cool2:
Glad you had the time to get out and enjoy a few hours and get a photo shoot in before you went back to keep us all safe here at home.
Nothing like tire smoke and a pair of marks to leave your signature :clap2:

Back