• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

'98 Dakota water leaks and airbag light

Bushwacker

Reaction score
New member here, but not new to Mopars. Been driving 'em since 1958!

Bought this truck new in 98. No leaks at all until recently, when I noticed wet carpet. Noticed missing AC drain elbow/tube and replaced that, but still have leak. Pulled carpet and noticed it does not leak at all when parked in heavy rain; leak only occurs when driving in rain, water appears to be coming in on both sides of cab behind or above front kick panels. Since it just started recently, I'm guessing some seam sealer must have gotten brittle and opened up. Anyone run into similar leaks on a Dakota/Durango?

Airbag warning light is also lit. Pulled steering wheel and replaced clockspring, but still getting warning light. Anybody got any ideas? This has been a VERY reliable truck for over 15 years and I was about to install a shaker hood and get it repainted, but I'm now having second thoughts with these recent problems!

Did you clear the codes after you fixed the airbag lite,
they need to be cleared

sometimes you can do the on & off with the ignition key 3 times quick
it will sometimes clear a trouble code

I just use my Hypertech programmer it has a OBII code # function
so you can look up the codes & see why it's lit up or doing what it's doing,
& clearing function too

no idea on the water leak problem !!

I have a 99 SLT 4x4 5.2ltr auto with a bunch of bolt on stuff
only issues I've had were a couple of sensors went bad {it only has 58k orig. miles}
one on the rear axle for abs & another was a transmission speed sensor

To clear the computer , you can also disconnect the battery for a few minutes . The water leak could be anything . Sometimes those can be a pain in the butt to find the source of . Sorry ..... Nice Cuda by the way .

Yeah water leak could be the heater core leaking
& running back under the carpeting Maybe ???

he didn't mention anything about having to add any coolant etc. thou

just spit-balling anyway

I wanted to say "Nice Cuda" too Bushwaker

I have a 68 RR, ongoing project
I've had a bunch of different Mopars & various muscle cars or race cars too

68 RR #24 Apr 21 2011 479ci-6bbl.JPG

68 RR #16 Apr 26 2011 Buddy #1.JPG

Back