• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

97 12 valve sitting for 7 months...

Cranky1

Banned Old Stinky Fart
Reaction score
Batteries have been disconnected for the duration but that's it. Anything in particular that might need to be done to start this thing back up? Fuel in it was fresh at the time and the truck has been garage kept.

Make sure the batterys are charged and give it a try. Unless its sit with bio desiel dont see a problem.

Fired right up. It did turn over a couple of more times than normal but it's acting normal now. I'm surprised my batteries are still good since they are pretty old. Did charge them a couple of times during it's sleep and today....and yeah, we have biodiesel but it's about 5%.

Got to be careful with that stuff. The oils can separate and be just like old grease in a frying pan. At what levels it becomes a problem I have no idea.

Got to be careful with that stuff. The oils can separate and be just like old grease in a frying pan. At what levels it becomes a problem I have no idea.
The engine oil? Looked fine on the stick....and the pressure came up nearly as quick as it does when it sits for a week.

Biodiesel refers to a vegetable oil- or animal fat-based diesel fuel consisting of long-chain alkyl (methyl, ethyl, or propyl) esters. Biodiesel is typically made by chemically reacting lipids (e.g., vegetable oil, soybean oil, animal fat (tallow)) with an alcohol producing fatty acid esters.

This is from Wiki.

Biodiesel refers to a vegetable oil- or animal fat-based diesel fuel consisting of long-chain alkyl (methyl, ethyl, or propyl) esters. Biodiesel is typically made by chemically reacting lipids (e.g., vegetable oil, soybean oil, animal fat (tallow)) with an alcohol producing fatty acid esters.

This is from Wiki.
That's what I found also. There were some making their own here a few years ago from used restaurant oils, fats and diesel. What they were mixing was ok as long as it was used in a relevant short period of time. Otherwise separation caused a lot of problems.

Never did the home biodiesel. Looked into it and it looked like a lot of work for the amount I drive mine and didn't feel it was worth the effort. It doesn't even have 150k miles on it! I did add in used oil (after filtering) for a short time but quit that too many years ago.

Back