• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

96 dodge dakota. how can i make it 5 lug instead of 6?

STOVEPIPE

Reaction score
i would like to change my 96 dakota from 6 lug to 5 lug. the back i can change the axles. but are there any out there on a durango or do i have to buy aftermarket? how bout the front rotars? do i have to get spindels and rotars? please let me know a detailed list.

The crazy 6 lug design was used from 96-04. It maybe possible to swap over to parts from a year with the 5 lugs. Durango I am guessing would be 6 lug too till 04.

I ordered a 94 v-8 reg cab dakota new, it also came with 6-lug. I thinK it was started in 92.

very easily....find a junkyard with a 87-91 (i believe) and get the rear axle shafts out of it...also, go to the local auto parts store and get a new set of front rotors, for an 87-91...it will all slide right in.... (assuming you have a 2wd) cant speak for the 4x4....

Yes, we just had this conversation on my other forum today. lol
Earlier 5 lug stuff will work. But after 96 nothing will work unless you have custom drilled hubs and rotors made up.
The earlier dakotas are simple swaps I am pretty sure.

very easily....find a junkyard with a 87-91 (i believe) and get the rear axle shafts out of it...also, go to the local auto parts store and get a new set of front rotors, for an 87-91...it will all slide right in.... (assuming you have a 2wd) cant speak for the 4x4....

What the hell are you doing here? LOL

followed your POS link from another POS site.....you freaking POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy.....uhh

nixon.gif hehehe

nixon.gif

5 lug axles can come from 1987-1990 dakota, not sure what your going to do about the rotors as 1996+ have sealed wheel bearings with the studs pressed into them they are completely different from the first gen rotors that have tapered roller bearings in the front

6 lug rims

I have 1993 Dakota and of course it has the same 6 lug rims. Anybody know if 1998 15x8 rims off a Durango/Dakota would fit right on it? Or would the offset be wrong? Thanks

There is a couple of guys around my area here that are running 2nd gen wheels on first gen Dakotas. Not sure of the offset difference between the years but from my own visual observation it looks like they fit like a glove.

There is a couple of guys around my area here that are running 2nd gen wheels on first gen Dakotas. Not sure of the offset difference between the years but from my own visual observation it looks like they fit like a glove.

Really? I figure that it would be a cheap way to put larger tires on, find a junked Durango and take the rims. My rims are 15x6, Durango rims are 15x8. The little 205/75s I have are too small, I want to be able to put larger tires on, maybe 70s or some big 65s.

Really? I figure that it would be a cheap way to put larger tires on, find a junked Durango and take the rims. My rims are 15x6, Durango rims are 15x8. The little 205/75s I have are too small, I want to be able to put larger tires on, maybe 70s or some big 65s.

Well I dunno thats just my opinion. They may stick out a a little but it really didn't seem that bad to me. The one truck is a 2wd, but the 4x4 if i see it sitting anywhere I will try to snap a pic of it for you.

Ok I just wanted to ask, why change it from 6 lug to 5 lug? I have a 94 Dakota and it has 6 lug pattern.

Back