• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

90s v10 truck engine swap?

dingus45

Reaction score
I was going to see if anyone knew what year/years were the best to get one of the v 10s out of the 2500s. My 83 was totaled by a texter. I dont really care for fuel mileage itll be one of those nice to have but not need things to tinker with. im not looking to build power or race. I seen someone say that they have 450ft-ibs which is more than enough for me.

If yall have links to another post about the same thing i would appreciate it.

thanks

What are you putting it in? I just read some info about it and it looks like they are all the same from 94-03. It uses the same bellhousing as the Cummins diesel. A wrecked 2wd would be the best to get so you could have the engine, trans, computer and harness. The Viper V-10 is it's own animal

85 half-ton 2wd. The viper doesn’t share anything with the truck sadly. I’m thinking if I could find a 5 or 6 speed to get behind it I wouldn’t have to worry about the trans blowing up from the torque. Do you know of any differences between the Cummins and the v10 bellhousing and clutch configuration that wouldn’t allow me to use a manual out of a diesel truck on the v10?

Clutch would be hydraulic. You better have a manual tunnel cab or plan on adding one. Desiel and gas trans are setup different do to engine rpm differences.
Honestly if I were to due it I would use the V10 chassis and drive line and change the body

It will be a nice swap.... why not thinking directly about a Viper combo? ,.

My truck has the 4 speed granny low trans already. Honestly I figured the truck engine would be more common in the junkyard Incase of needing parts. I’ve been trying to find a v10 truck but they want money for them. I’m a 2wd guy and so far finding a truck that has the 10 with a manual in a 2wd is out of my reach.

the truck v10 is not a viper engine , viper only shears the engine cubic inch size . i had two truck v10s and no takers . so i peeled them and scraped both of them . kept the rocker gear down to the roller lifters .
DSC05488.JPG
DSC05494.JPG
DSC05495.JPG
DSC05486.JPG

I'd double check that thought regarding the trans being the same bolt pattern as the Cummins. I think its the small block bolt pattern because the V10 shares the same architecture as the Magnum V8 with 2 more cylinders added.

Cley

I'd double check that thought regarding the trans being the same bolt pattern as the Cummins. I think its the small block bolt pattern because the V10 shares the same architecture as the Magnum V8 with 2 more cylinders added.

Cley
Pirate4x4.com says the v10 shares the same bell housing with the Cummins.

Paul do you know where to get a v10 now or did the sheets it?

i got those off c/l . but the bellhousing pattern on mine were same as the cummins with a hole in the block for the starter to mount . not even close to the la or magnum bell pattern . the some of the internals are magnum , but oil pump is up front . no dizzy , just coil packs .
DSC05488.JPG
DSC05496.JPG

Back