• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

9-1/4 axel

dogface

Reaction score
I’m picking up a 94 van with a 9-1/4 rear axel. The axels have the 5 on 5 bolt spacing and my 79 has 4-1/2 spacing. Can I get axels with the smaller bolt pattern for this 9-1/4? Or just drill the axel for the 4-1/2 size? 79 has the 8-1/4 now.

The 9 1/4" rear in my 78 truck had the 5 on 4 1/2" pattern. It is possible that is all you need is a pair of older axles I'm not sure. The van probably has longer tubes or a different spline for all I know but something to check on.

Probably more like 5 on 5-1/2 not 5 on 5.
Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4went to that in 80 2wd went to 5 on 5-1/2 in 85. Was the same all the way thru at least the end of van production in 03, and the end of 94-01 1/2 ton pickups maybe longer.
A buddy of mine had an 87 van and the rear end went out. We found an 84 van sitting in the weeds at a guy's house just down the road being used as makeshift shed of sorts. My buddy made a deal for the rear end out of it (I think the guy with the"storage" van ended up putting the scorched one back under his van just so he could roll it by hooking a chain to his tractor)
We put the 84 rear end in the 87 and put the original axles and drums in the 84 housing, and he was good to go again.

Back