• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

89 d100 fuel sending unit

Littlered89

Reaction score
Hey everybody i got a few questions for y'all. First off, i have an 89 d100 3.9. Gas gauge dont work and never has the while time ive had it (2 1/2 years) i am trying to find a fuel sending unit but cannot find one for the 89. Any body know where i can find a sending unit for this thing? The electric pump is good. I read somewhere that the plugs are different. Not sure, this is my first old dodge. Is there a way to "rebuild" (for lack of a better term) the sending unit? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ok thank you. I searched all over but did not see that post anywhere but hey thats why i got on here. Ill look into all that. Hopefully i can find one. Thanks again.

Ok thank you. I searched all over but did not see that post anywhere but hey thats why i got on here. Ill look into all that. Hopefully i can find one. Thanks again.
Littlered, what's wrong with yours other than the sending unit portion, that can sometimes be repaired, either a loose connection inside once you have it out of tank, or the reostat metal wiper at the sending unit on the opposite end of the float, all of that is for the sending unit and gauge to work, might even be your gauge itself at the dash or the wiring to and from sending unit.
I've had mine out lately and replaced the pump itself, mine should be all good once I get it ready to crank, i'm redoing engine and all. So let me know specifics of your problem. I know Holley and I'm sure other make an aftermarket sending unit that can be fitted to your tank, I was checking into a Holley thinking I may run a Sniper fuel injection unit, that would require the higher volume sending unit from Holley. Let us know.

Sorry for the late response. To RDUNNAM i just have no fuel gage reading. I did drop the tank and check the output from the sending unit and there is no reading at all. Unfortunately i did have to put it all back together because i could not find a replacement pump assembly. This truck is my daily driver so i cant have it apart for long. I was wondering if there was a way o "rebuild" the sending unit portion though.

To POLARA_500 everything i found for using one out of a later model i would need the tank, pump assembly, and the electrical plug that plugs into the sending unit to make that work.

Luckily for me this truck lets me know when im getting low on gas, wants to die while stopping and the gas moves to the front of the tank rather then just shutting off and leaving me stranded. Been almost 3 years now and havent ran out yet. (Knock on wood)

I am a little surprised the sending unit from an 89-93 could not be adapted. It may take some internal surgical skills but the tank shapes are not that much different.

I believe the way the sending unit is mounted in the tank is the problem. My 89 has a hose clamp shaped like a V to pull the two together. The later models have a threaded ring the screws on to squeeze the two together.

1616235665745.png
1616235698986.png

This is what mine looks like.

Ok i cant remember exactly what mine looks like. I dropped the tank 2 years ago. But that really is all i was looking for because my pump is good. Where could a guy find one of those? I do have the pump assembly out of a 2nd gen if that would work.

If I can find mine I would put it in a box and send it to you. It worked when pulled. We broke the line fittings off trying to remove them. Pump Even worked.

Ok cool. Thanks. Let me know what i would owe you for everything.

Back