• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

87 Dodge D100

65 Dartman

Reaction score
My 87 D100 regular cab short bed - slant 6 904. My grandson bought the truck minus engine and transmission. I gave him a 72 Super Six-equipped slant/904 so he could get it running. Him and his Dad got the motor in it and messed around trying to get it to run right. I told my grandson if he ever wanted to get rid of it, I'd take it off his hands. He got tired of trying g to get it to run right so ended up selling it to me. Looks like the problem was making it run with the original computer. I'm in the process of converting it to HEI and adding a new exhaust system.

Oppps! Should have placed this post in the Dodge Ram forum; not the pre -80. Can't read too well w/o my glasses

gauges 001.jpg

Last edited:
My 87 D100 regular cab short bed - slant 6 904. My grandson bought the truck minus engine and transmission. I gave him a 72 Super Six-equipped slant/904 so he could get it running. Him and his Dad got the motor in it and messed around trying to get it to run right. I told my grandson if he ever wanted to get rid of it, I'd take it off his hands. He got tired of trying g to get it to run right so ended up selling it to me. Looks like the problem was making it run with the original computer. I'm in the process of converting it to HEI and adding a new exhaust system.

Oppps! Should have placed this post in the Dodge Ram forum; not the pre -80. Can't read too well w/o my glasses

That is a good project truck. I'm surprised he didn't get rid of the computer and put in a older harness.

Get Joey to move it.

That is a good project truck. I'm surprised he didn't get rid of the computer and put in a older harness.

I don't think my grandson or his Dad even realized the truck had a computer (hidden behind the battery in a recess in the fender). Looks to have been maybe a Lean Burn as it has 2 pickups near the distributor. The motor I gave them was already converted to Mopar electronic ignition so they tried both pick-ups (separately) and got it to sort of run with one of them - most likely the run side. The HEI ought to solve the problems. RE: older harness - there's not much of anything old around here - all been crushed. I'll work with what I've got. Still a pretty sharp looking truck!

I also own an 87.Mine is a long bed with a .60 over 360,727,3.55 sure grip rear and a real bad addiction to ricers!!{As in eating them}

Are you going to sell it back to the grandson when you get her running good or keep it as a driver

After I get it converted to HEI and the new exhaust on it, then I'll finish up the interior conversion - I've already pulled the torn up, ratty bench seat and finish installing the late model Dakota buckets and buddy seat/folddown armrest and new carpeting to match. She's a keeper!

How you doing on this project Dartman?

Got a brand new exhaust system on it - 2 1/4 ID from the manifold all the way back. Hi Flow cat (VA inspections where I live visually inspect for a cat); low restriction muffler - the ol' slant ought to breath pretty good to go with the 2 barrel Super Six.

I love these old dodges. My 85 has the 318/727 and a peg leg 3:55 rear. When you put the dakadota seats in it, did you use the the dakota brakets or d100 brackets?

Back