• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

84 dodge d150 cluster issue.

68GTX440

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently started this account here, I'm over on the Bboides side as well. I've got a issue with my cluster, Certain parts of it are lighting up and kinda getting on my nerves here. My ALT, and Gas will light up when I've got the headlights on, but not my speedometer. Now I've literally just got done replacing my original headlight switch still no lights in my speedometer section of the cluster. I also have replaced the bulbs and tested them in other ports. I broke out the test light getting frustrated and noticed that one of the wires are not sending power to the cluster also checked all the fuses they seem to be good. I tried to follow the wire that doesn't seem to be getting power and just can't follow it due to it gets put into a bunch of tape then when I follow it to the other end it seems like that wire is gone!

Wire ? ... To the dash lights ? There should be a plug that plugs into a printed circuit board on the back of the cluster . The wire that your following , did you by any chance check to make sure it wasn't a ground circuit ? By the way , Welcome to the site GTX ! :cool:
IMG_2361.JPG

I assume by your avatar that your talking about an 84ish truck ?

Thanks for the welcome. Yes its an 84. I have color codes this picture you posted to give a idea of what I'm seeing from the test light.
Green is on but very dim.
Yellow is flashing with turn signal's and hazard off.
Red is the ones with no power.

IMG_2361.JPG

Last edited:
You said you checked the bulbs , but did you check the bulb sockets as well . Sometimes those lil brass ears brake off or bend and they both have to make contact with the circuit board to work .

Yes I've checked the sockets as well. I've plugged every bulb into a location on the circuit board that works also have made sure all ears are pushed again the board when I place them in.

ok well on the bright side I've got lights again.. on the darker side there's a short somewhere inside the electrical tape, looks like I'll be cutting up some electrical tape and running through tons of wires tomorrow!

Well it's then it's got to be close to where you where working in the harness . Is it factory tape or does it look like someone's been in there before ? Do you have a Dodge truck Haynes repair book ? They have wiring diagrams in them . Oh yeah , One more thought . Did you check for juice on both side's of the plug that go's into the back ?

No it's definitely factory the only thing that has been done to any wiring in the truck is an installed alarm system. That was by my dad though years ago.. I've got Mitchell ondemand5. And no I didn't I put the test light into the plug that was it that's how I knew I wasn't getting power..

Its definitely a red wire with a white tracer that is giving me the issue, just slowly going through tons of a electrical tape. It just started raining so I had to stop working.

In the picture that you posted of your PCB, in red you traced 2 different circuits. On the left side of the picture, the round plug that plugs into the PCB is a white wire and that is a ground wire. On the right side of the picture the red wire with a white tracer is your high beam indicator

The red wire with a white trace goes through the bulkhead connector, then to the plug for the driverside headlight.

In the picture that you posted of your PCB, in red you traced 2 different circuits. On the left side of the picture, the round plug that plugs into the PCB is a white wire and that is a ground wire. On the right side of the picture the red wire with a white tracer is your high beam indicator
still wasn't getting power to it with my highbeams on. And my high beam switch works.

Lights are fixed! Took me awhile, but of course the split wire was right at the end of the electrical tape... Wish I started from that end now lol. Decided saturday lets replace the light sockets and lights anyways they just got in today and replaced them. Turned the lights on in the day time and was able to see them with the sun shining on the cluster! Scared to see these things at night. But I've got another issue that I just remember while getting ready to button her dash back up. I have an issue with the hazard lights. To be able to get the hazards to turn on I have to either drop the turn signal switch or push it up then they light up. Any ideas? My dad had fixed it at one time when I was a kid, but that was over 8 years ago, I can't remember and can't ask him sadly.

Last edited:
Here's the new lights. Still sunny out a bit, need to get a new fuse accidentally grounded a wire and blew out a fuse. Also need to take the cluster apart I was resetting the cable to the parking indicator and it popped out of my hand think the needle broke so gonna see if I can open it and find it and glue it back together

image.jpeg

Alright guys had it all fixed put back together. well went driving tonight got to where I was going shut it off went inside, got back in tried to turn on the lights. Headlights turned on, but the dash lights would only come on in I got the switch in a certain position it would be right before the click to turn on the headlights. figured well switch went bad took it in guy at orileys was stumped too, so gave me a new switch got home put it in. Nope still only went I get to a certain spot. What am I doing wrong here? I'm kinda getting fed up with it by now.

Here's the new lights. Still sunny out a bit, need to get a new fuse accidentally grounded a wire and blew out a fuse. Also need to take the cluster apart I was resetting the cable to the parking indicator and it popped out of my hand think the needle broke so gonna see if I can open it and find it and glue it back together
I have a good one if you cannot glue it. Just took a cluster apart for parts.

BWD Headlight switches are a chance game here guys lol, replaced for the third time everything is fine again. All buttoned back up drove it around for a few hours this morning with the lights on turned them off just went out turned them on cluster and running lights are on. Alright from now I think I'll be looking for NOS headlight switches though.

Back