• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

84 2wd short box, 518?? with a 440??

68gtx

Reaction score
been off work for a few months due to an achilles decompression surgery, and have way to much time on my hands, planning upgrades.. my little truck currently has a 360 , 6 pack in it with a 727 and 3:91's.. i had built a 512 , 440 based stroker for my gtx , but decided to sell the car and it's currently being planned to put in the truck.. , so i think i can go a few different routes. keep the 727 and do some 3:23's in the rear or keep the 3:91s ad maybe do a 518 swap?? what do you guys think.. will the 518 survive the 512??? it will be a street truck with maybe an occasional 1/8 th mile blast ... the ultra bell bell housings sure aren't cheap. i had thought about the gear vendors overdrive , but they are just to damn expensive by the time they get to canada... $4000.00 can plus duties and freight would be a $5000.00 bill ... and if i go 518 can i run a 2400 rpm stall converter??? the truck now absolutely fries the tires at 50km/h on dry pavement , and i know i don't need the 512 , but i got it so i might as well use it..
IMG_2627.JPG

oct 2013 i phone pics 015.JPG

If ya need someone to take that 512 off your hands...

A 518is based off a 727, isn't it? Getting it mated to the big block is the biggest challenge. Some upgrades to the trans would keep it alive behind the 512. I'm sure you could put whatever stall you wanted to in it. How much would you drive the truck, is the OD neccesary?

od isnt neccesary, but there are a series of guys that get together and travel to some local and not so local car shows.. the furthest is about 6 hours away . with the 3:91's any amount of highway time is slow and costly .. everyone is going od these days , and it would be nice but not a must... i could trailer it i guess... from what i have read you just cut the 518 bell housing off and bolt on a pump mount ultra bell

I've been wondering if you could take a BB housing and swap all the 518 internals into the case. I haven't looked one but, just kicking it around my head. I'd like OD for my 72 I'm swapping a 440 into.

not sure. i just read that the driveshaft will need to be shortened a few inches

Tail shaft is longer but do not believe the 518 tail will bolt to the 727. That would make things way to simple an upgrade.
not sure. i just read that the driveshaft will need to be shortened a few inches

Tail shaft is longer but do not believe the 518 tail will bolt to the 727. That would make things way to simple an upgrade.
That's what I was trying to remember. I know I went through this before.

Nice project, you can interchange some internals with the 2 Trans's. The od unit is where the extra length is, I don't believe you can bolt the od unit onto a 727

The back side of the case is drilled differently on the 518, correct? I'll just have to put bigger tires on to cut the rpm's down.

The back side of the case is drilled differently on the 518, correct? I'll just have to put bigger tires on to cut the rpm's down.
I think the 518 case is larger on the back side. I really need to find one and play with it to see what can be done. The 82 could really use the overdrive anyway. The 4:58 gears really hinder hwy driving.

Have you considered keeping your 727 and putting a Gear Vendors Overdrive on it. That is what I plan to do with my Barracuda when I get the Big Block in it.

Nevermind finished reading your original post.

Did they make non-lock up 518s? There isn't as much out there for torque converters for the lock-up transmissions.

The 727 backed by a GV-OD would probably be the strongest option, even though most expensive.

Last edited:
Have you considered keeping your 727 and putting a Gear Vendors Overdrive on it. That is what I plan to do with my Barracuda when I get the Big Block in it.

Nevermind finished reading your original post.

Did they make non-lock up 518s? There isn't as much out there for torque converters for the lock-up transmissions.

The 727 backed by a GV-OD would probably be the strongest option, even though most expensive.
, gear vendors is on its way, ordered it last week...

Take some pictures when you get it and the instal. I would be interested in seeing those.

Do you have any mpg figures with your setup now? I would also be curious to see how much fuel savings you see after the instal.

I think the GV OD is the best way to go. There are some places that will cut the small block bell off of the 518 and bolt an aftermarket big block bell onto it. But you will still have a 518. Even though the 518 is based on a 727, I don't think many parts interchange and you don't want a lock-up 518.

Last edited:
Take some pictures when you get it and the instal. I would be interested in seeing those.

Do you have any mpg figures with your setup now? I would also be curious to see how much fuel savings you see after the instal.

I think the GV OD is the best way to go. There are some places that will cut the small block bell off of the 518 and bolt an aftermarket big block bell onto it. But you will still have a 518. Even though the 518 is based on a 727, I don't think many parts interchange and you don't want a lock-up 518.
i don't have any smiles per gallon data.. lol
new motor setup is going in as we speak , went from a small block to a 440 based 512, will take some pics

Back