• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

80 d150 6bt project

wedgeheaded

Reaction score
I while back I picked up an 80 di50 stepside for a future project. I had planned to do a 4bt swap but I can buy a whole, running, 1st gen 2wd for the same money. So I'm shopping for the right truck and in no hurry. Right now I'm considering some problems I may encounter. One I keep coming back to is my rear end. I have a clean late 60s 8.75 and 741 SG center section for it. First, I know that an 8.75 is not a Dana 60 and not as tough. I'd prefer a 60 but have an 8.75. I have no plans to do anything with this truck except cruising and lite towing. Can I use my 741 or should I look for a 742 or 489 center section? I know they're both heavier but are they needed? Thoughts and insights please.

1st i drove for years now a d150 with a 9 1/4 from a 79 ramcharger with a limited slip differential and 3.23 gear.with good oil change and correct maintenance not any trouble even with some light towing.
2nd a dana 60 is a big axle most of them avaliable are 8 lugs and you are limited with low gear 3.54/ 4.10 and it will be good for some towing.

I had thought about the 9.25 but had heard of draw backs. For me the biggest is I don't have one. I think the 9.25 is rated higher than a 8.75 for durability but the 8.75 is what I have so I'll use it. I'm most concerned about the 741 chunk. I've towed with 8.25 rears and had no problems but mot with a 6bt ahead of it.

Never had a 6bt in front of an 8.75, but I've pulled up to a 6000 lb trailer many a mile with my 83 D150 w/360/A833/8.75 w/3.23 SG. No issues with it at all, the 9.25 w/3.55's I started with went bad on me - the pinion nut backed off and the rear went south real quick.

Are the heavier rear ends needed? Not really. This answer presumes that by light towing your meaning to not pull more than 5K lbs, nor do a lot of clutch drops from a stoplight, nor rocking the vehicle using fast gear changes if stuck in mud or ice. These kinds of situations where you are shock loading the rear end are the problem. Typically easy towing on paved roads is not hurtful to the rear except for overloading based on weight.

Are the heavier rear ends needed? Not really. This answer presumes that by light towing your meaning to not pull more than 5K lbs, nor do a lot of clutch drops from a stoplight, nor rocking the vehicle using fast gear changes if stuck in mud or ice. These kinds of situations where you are shock loading the rear end are the problem. Typically easy towing on paved roads is not hurtful to the rear except for overloading based on weight.

I found a fellow on another site who made a drag truck from an 80 D150 and used a 6bt and auto. 500-600 HP and using a stock 8.75. A lot of what he has done answers a lot of my questions.

Back