• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

727 LOCKUP SHIFT KIT

dodgefred

Reaction score
just got a 727lockup for my72 d100 project, i am wondering if is it possible to upgrade the 727 with a shift kit and swap the converter wich is low stall for a more performant one?

I think your limited on convertors for a lock up unit. Maybe call someone like Hughes or other tranny place and see what's available. I know the non lockup is better for performance applications. Shift kit should be available through B&M or Trans-Go.

Been told that a shift kit can fried the converter , its because of that i am asking...... dont want to mess up with the tranny.....

Non lockup converters are out there for lockup transmissions. Find a good transmission shop that rebuilds Chrysler transmissions and converters. Key word here is rebuilds. Any shop can replace it.

Truck will be a daily driver most of the time with a little bit of towing... just want a better and firm shift and save fuel on milage. first plan was for a 46 rh but sourced this 727 l u for cheap....

You can toll on forabodiesonly.com and probably find more info on the lockup 727. Most of us truck guys have a newer lockup transmission that can be built, I had one in my 94 that was pretty stout, going to toughen up my 98. It's been too long that I read up on the 727 lockup to remember ups/downs about the unit.

Get yourself a copy of Chryslers HP transmission book. It will tell you what to do.

Why do you want a higher stall convertor for daily driving and to pull a trailer? Remember that higher the stall the longer and sooner the convertor slips. Just creates more heat and when pulling a trailer heat is the enemy.

okay i will stay with the low stall converter . Anyway a better and firm shift will be appreciable so i will be searching for a good shift kit...

Just how firm a shift you looking for? It maybe achieved with out a kit if you do not mind modifying some parts.

The donor truck is from 84 and the trans look good . Clear fluid old "new filter" and no metal particle in the pan. I will check the clutches disc an clean the valve body. rebuildt will be done if necessary. Truck ran before staying parked for years in an old building..b The place was sold then cleared and the new owner get rid of the van.... Got the tranny/engine doors and most of good parts before the truck went to the scrapyard.... A kind of salvage...
Found this tread on the net and want to do the same for the shifting.....Despite the engine rpm.
Increasing Shift Speeds On The 727 Torqueflite - Mopar Muscle Magazine

20170511_171103.jpg

Does your transmission have the 5/8" input shaft pilot tip? If it does it's a lockup. If it's splined all the way down the input shaft it's a good old non lockup.

A picture will talk by herself. so the 727 is a lockup one. and there is a sticker Lockup LS on the converter.

boitoto dodge lockup 001.jpg

They do make non locking converters for that trans.
If it out of that van what is the tail shaft lenght. More than likely its short tail shaft.
Shift speeds at rpms can be altered by changing governor pressure. Bands are changed with lever changes. Dropping the correct ball out of the valve body and enlarging a hole here or there and you will not know it was the same trans.
Just a matter of knowing what to do.

My 727 is with a long tail shaft and whitout removing the torque converter you would not notice it's a lockup one..And like you said i am going to upgrade the shifting by modifing the valve body.Guess it's the best way....

Lockup was common if not in everything by 78.
I sure would not have thought that big van would have had a long tailshaft trans.
My Chrysler trans book goes to 79. If you want to post the number one the pan rail on the shift side can tell you whats supposed to be in it.

My 87 was a long shaft. Granted I took it out and put in a 727 out of a 73... But it came with a long shaft trans, lock up or not, I can't remember.

Back