• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

71, F250 4x4, Highboy engine trans pull help

Dan Mckillip

Reaction score
Preparing to pull engine/trans as one.
Already pulled rad, all engine accessories,
shift levers, access plate above trans, exh manifolds, dist, carb, water pump, Unbolted trans mnt & trans mnt x-member.
Question: do I need to pull the x-member under the trans(4 bolts per side) I hope not, but not sure.
Thanks

Picture of cross member under trans.
Not sure if i need to pull this X- member or not.

20221210_043812.jpg

Never have. But have never pulled one together either. If it's a top loader not sure how it would work without pulling the handle out of the trans. How you going to handle the transferer case if together.

Thanks. X-fer case is separate from trans, so no problem there. (Pic,three drive shafts) I think I'll need to scrap intention of pulling both eng & trans as one. it seems Id need to drop the trans down 3" to clear firewall sheet metal (see pic). I'll try separating bell housing from trans, then pulling engine & trans separately. Since I can only rotate crank ~180 degrees, I'll need to slide clutch plate off splines without removing clutch housing. If this is possible, not sure, I think the engine will come out with some effort.
Then trans, I think, can be lowered out toward the back. By easing the trans down & rearward, that shifter mount(?) may not interfere with sheet metal? suggestions welcome.
Thanks, Dan

20221211_054903.jpg

20221211_060151.jpg

20221211_060051.jpg

If you separate the bellhousing from the engine or the trans from the bellhousing, the engine should come out. The input shaft splines should slide out of the clutch disc

Back