• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

57 Dodge D100 - Straight 6 - Not Starting

Edward

Reaction score
When I turn on the ignition, the starter engages. However the engine does not kick on. I have made a bunch of changes and I am still trying to trouble shoot what the culprit is. Here is the change background:

1.) Replaced the carb with a remanufactured one (did prime it with some gas prior to attempting to start).
2.) Replaced the points with a Petronix Ignitor kit.
3.) Replaced the coil.
4.) Replaced the generator.
5.) Got the starter rebuilt.
6.) Replaced the voltage regulator.
7.) Replaced the fuel pump (believe it is working since I see gas in the gas bowl).
8.) Replaced the air cleaner.
9.) Got the gas tank rebuilt; plus a rebuilt sending unit.
10.) Got the radiator re-cored.

I did not change the spark plug wires or anything else other than the above.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Eddie

PS - I have the single barrel Ball and Ball carb. I have not made any adjustments to the carb or changed any settings it came with.

I apologize for having to ask this question. But I cannot find the ballast resister. My FSM makes no indication of one either. So where is it within a 57 D100 - 6 cylinder? I do not see it near the coil or on the firewall anywhere. In my other vehicles, the resister was in clear view.

I also have another question. What is behind the chromed item in the upper right in the picture? I have tried to remove it and am not sure how to do so. I did not want to go any further without checking with you all before I destroyed it trying to remove it.

I admit that I am still getting familiar with this truck.

20170702_080306_Burst01.jpg

If the starter doesn't turn it over how is it to start?
Flat head 6 and 12 volt systems may not have been. 6 volt systems required no resistor.

When you try to start the engine you said the starter engages and the engine does not kick on. When the starter engages does it crank the engine? If it cranks but doesn't start then we have to start looking at the ignition side to see if we have spark.

Sorry for the late response. Got caught up with this "work thing."

The truck was running before I started replacing things. So evidently, I have messed up something.

The starter does crank the engine when I turn the key.

I have not honestly looked at the ignition side yet. One thing I did want to do is the check the plugs. They are the same ones the truck came with when I got it in October of 2015. I would like to change them for peace of mind. Just have not gotten around yet to doing so. I will get that done though.

I can tell that the spark plug wires do look decent. But I really need to thoroughly check them out too.

I noticed tonight that one of the two terminals on top of the remanufactured generator has become unattached from where it connects to in the inside of the generator. The terminal is kind of swimming around with hardly no connection. So this cannot be good.

Given that I have been see-sawing back and forth regarding yanking the generator and installing an alternator, this might be a good time to do so. I ordered the bracket part set I will need to mount directly to the generator bracket. Then I will be able to connect an alternator to that bracket. Waiting game now to get the bracket part.

There is a YouTube video that covers wiring up replacement alternators. It looked pretty simple.

Edward

Back