• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

4WD Front Axle Questions

RustyRatRod

Head Flunky In Charge
Reaction score
Thought I would come here and ask since this is the truck place.

I am thinking of converting my rat truck project to a 4WD. It is currently on an 83 D150 chassis that I put a Dana 70 dually rear axle under and installed aall of the one ton front suspension. All of the swap work is done. It is a rolling chassis.

I cannot get out of my head how much cooler it would be as a 4WD. Hear are my questions.

I have researched and found that both the Dana 60 and Dana 44 came in one ton applications, although the Dana 44 is not as prolific.

Since the one ton dually front axles are getting tough to find, what are the necessary steps to convert either the 60 or 44 to the one ton dually application? What parts are needed?

Lastly, the Dana 44 front axle is much more popular in Ramchargers and W100 and W150 models. Is it possible to convert those to the one ton dually axle?

Thank you drive through.

You forgot the picture, how can we (I) visualize it? That and I'm too lazy to look for it in your old posts.

From what I remember, I thought your rat truck looked pretty badass the way it was, but it is yours, not mine.

Throwin a 4wd axle under the front won't change the look very much at all.

If you go four wheel drive with it , then what are you thinking about for a T case ? Maybe a divorce set up ?

I went looking for it, it would be fine either way. Be cool to have a 2wd and a 4wd!

Pretty much the attitude I have. If I can find something reasonable, I will. I plan on building it as is to begin with. Not gonna let it hold me up, I can hang a front axle and transfer case in it anytime.

The Dodge stuff is really tough to find anyway.

Sounds like a plan Rusty ! :)

Back