• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

49 Dodge Pilothouse build

cpojohn3

Reaction score
Ok. I'm gonna try my hand at doing a build thread. My project is a 49 Dodge B1. Otherwise known as a Pilothouse truck. This will not be an all original build. So, to the Mopar purist, you can get glad in the same pants you got mad in. I can say that because all I have are Mopars that are all Mopar. I am keeping the flathead 6 which runs as smooth as the murmur of a country brook over moss covered rocks. Lower the ride height (no tail dragger) and maybe chop the top a couple of inches. The short term goal is to get it rolling safely. Long term goal, upgrade and paint the chassis/suspension to get a good ride and have a semi original interior, that's hopefully comfortable. Not painting the cab or bed. This week I picked an 8.8 rear and received the floor pans I ordered from eBay. Today, In preparation for the 8.8 swap I removed leafs from the stock springs and cut the spring pads off the rear. This will be a slow build. The truck is in North Carolina at my dads shop and I live in Florida. Travel back forth every 6-8 weeks. There will be some long gaps in my postings. I am open to suggestions, opinions and sarcastic remarks. I'm a retired Navy MCPO, so I have pretty thick skin. But, if you plan to give me a hard time, prepare to receive one. Thanks all.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

First thanks for your service, I served in the Airforce for 4. Second I am glad you decided to do a build thread I will be watching.

65 Sporty and Polara_500 thanks for your service and the encouragement.

Today, Dad and I temporarily mounted the 8.8. Wasn't sure if the rear would be dropped enough to suit us. Well, it ain't. So, when I come back up in January we will flip the axle and "c" notch the frame. Hopefully in January we can get the front axle removed and mount a Fatman mustang 2 kit. Forgot to mention the trucks name is "Mader".
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

dustytones, you are so right. I am very fortunate and enjoy every second of it.

Thanks for serving from a regular Joe! Look forward to the build. That's great your keeping the 6, loved the description. I think one should do what one wants with their own damn property, so go forth and cut that top!

Much appreciated LocuMob. I am sure as Mader progresses there will be some tweaks. Thats the beauty of this hobby/life, we do what we want.

just wondering about your 8.8 could you tell from which car is it borrowed?. like the idea of the rear disc brakes...

Greetings from an old Army SFC. Good to see another PH getting the treatment.
I am also a fan of the 8.8, good choice.

I really appreciate your service to our country wayfarer. I am Mopar guy but have never considered one of these PH trucks until my dad found it. Had to have it. It reminds me of our pugs with the flat nose.

To you and the rest of the military, Welcome Home!
You are blessed to still have you Dad around...some folks never got the same opportunity.

I'm chomping at the bit to get back up there and get some work done.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Started dropping the rear this past Monday. Used 2x2, 1/4 inch thick square tubing and a piece of 8 inch round tubing for the notch. Still need to box the frame, make the cross member for the coil overs and build a panhard bar. Haven't decided if I am going to cut the leaf springs and use them as swing arms or make them out of 2x2 square tubing. That's my dad and a friend doing torching and grinding. Oh, I use one of my friends method. It's called MAG technology. Mig and grind.

View attachment 8245 View attachment 8246 View attachment 8247 View attachment 8248 View attachment 8249 View attachment 8250 Started dropping the rear this past Monday. Used 2x2, 1/4 inch thick square tubing and a piece of 8 inch round tubing for the notch. Still need to box the frame, make the cross member for the coil overs and build a panhard bar. Haven't decided if I am going to cut the leaf springs and use them as swing arms or make them out of 2x2 square tubing. That's my dad and a friend doing torching and grinding. Oh, I use one of my friends method. It's called MAG technology. Mig and grind.
You have a crew, lucky! Cool to see some progress on the truck. Keep the updates coming.

It look so easy when it's all ready done !!! you will be lucky with such a crew workingon your side.

Back