• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

2WD to 4WD

DodgeBall

Reaction score
Guys:

Hey I am new to your forum and from what I see it is great, but I have a question for you. I have a nice 72 Dodge 2wd truck and just bought a 85 Dodge Power Wagon with a bad body. What I would like to do is take the drive train out of the 85 and place it under the 72. Is this possible or more importantly is it practical? I was hoping someone out there has done this and could tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks

2015-10-11 17.36.48.jpg

2016-01-24 17.58.00.jpg

Been there done that . How's the frame on the 85 ? Your better off doing a body swap if the frame is good on the 85 and they both have the same size bed . Also , Unless the 72 is a stick truck . You'll have to swap the transmission tunnel from the 85 to the 72 . Oh by the way , Welcome to the site "DodgeBall" ! :D

And nice looking 72 you have there . I'd want to do something with it as well if I had it . :cool:

Hello from Minnesota. I'm with bear that a body swap might be the way to go. Nice looking 72 indeed! I got a 4wd crew cab so I'm kinda partial to that year.

Thanks guys for the responses but - The frame has been repair on the 4wd - don't know how good - so I am a little worried about using that. I know everything on the 72 is good so i would like to use that frame. Is that doable?

It's been done, although I don't remember who did it - it's not an easy project at all nor for an inexperienced mechanic from what I recall of the discussion.

Can not tell what the 72 is from the picture attached. If it is a D100 or D150 leave the 72 two wheel drive. The frame will not be strong enough for four wheel duty. If it is a D250 you have a lot of work in store but can be done. Just a lot of moving part ( engine, transmission, transfer case members.Complete front suspension will need to be removed from both frames. Be prepared to cut frame riviets and drill holes. The cab and bed mounts will also need to be changed.
I have done this swap in reverse of what you are wanting to do. Stuck a 92 2 wheel body and engine on a mid 70's 4 wheel frame with 727 transmission, attached transfer case and Dana 60 axles.

"Polara_500" is right . It can be done but your skill level will have to be pretty high and it will take some time , planning , and experience to make it safe , strong , and dependable .

Back