• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

2001 Dakota Engine Swap Advice

Cliff Nagy

Reaction score
My 2001 Dakota with only 120,000 miles has a rod knock. Since I have to replace my engine, can I swap the 3.6 L V6 with the 2.4 L 4-cylinder? Did they use the same transmission? I've heard the 3.6L V6 is known for weak bearings.

Think you will find the transmission a no go. Why a 2.4 instead of going to a 5.4 which will bolt to your transmission and maybe even run off the same computer? You could then use all the original pumps and alternator plus radiator.

The 5.2 V8s actually got better gas mileage. Don't know what's wrong with your 2001 but our old 3.9, 93 would get 16-18 loaded regardless what the wind was doing. Power was never a problem unless we were pulling 2000+ lbs. of trailer behind it. I really don't think the 2.4 will do a thing for gas mileage if it works the 3.9 that much. Smaller engine with no more power. Do not see that as an improvement.

You would be better off just swapping out your engine with the same engine. Unless you can find a wrecked truck with the engine you want, lots of little things you would need including the different engine management system and harness.

3.6 is a great engine but the swap would be no where close to worth it. Engine, trans, eng management, trans management, exhaust, cooling speedo, not to mention other things.. all listed are not compatible with your Dak at all and too top it all off that engine/trans never came in a Dak so it would be fabrication and communication intense to pull it off. If you wanted to do all that work a 1st gen Hemi (from the new era) would be a better thing to work that hard on swapping.

That said, Daks of your vintage came with as mentioned, 3.9, *5.2 & 5.9's so every part is available to drop any of those in. If 5.2, you will have to find 2000+ R/T donor parts as the 5.2 was replaced in 2k with the 4.7 and while Im on 4.7, IMHO its a POS so dont even wast time on that engine.

Back