• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1999 Ram quits randomly

glenwood

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've had this Ram Sport 2wd 5.2 for about 12 years with the usual issues (valley pan gasket, trans rebuild).
About 4 years ago, I wen through a similar stint with the crank sensor and coil simultaneously. Been great since until recently. The fuel gauge was sometimes not reading until you filled it up. I figured the sender was the culprit.
A month ago or so, I noticed the truck take an extra second to start. I guess I'm hypersensitive but I know my truck and when something changes. That same day, it quit driving home from the store. Wouldn't start right away but did after 15 minutes. This cycle started again a week later and on an off daily. I suspected the fuel pump and changed the assembly. I noticed right away that it now takes a few seconds to start instead of the usual half turn. For two weeks no issues except the slightly longer starting...until last night.
Truck quit 4-5 times during a 30 km trip home, including while sitting in the driveway while checking it. The fuel pump sounds fine, turns over but wouldn't start. No codes or check engine light. I think the problem is on the spark side but I can't figure it out. The coil is new.
I swapped ASD relays, etc., but all seem fine to me.

If you disconnect the battery wait about 15 minutes and reconnect it what happens? This resets the computer.

sorry, I completely forgot about this thread! I spend much of my online time over at FBBO as I'm restoring a 64 Polara convertible.

For what it's worth, this issue turned out to be a crank position sensor again. I've had no issues since changing it in late 2015.

Back