• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1997 Powerstroke Glow Plug Low Current while Driving

justwondering

Reaction score
This has now happened 4 weeks in a row.
Truck starts just fine. Everything sounds good. No idiot lights.
After driving my dually between 50 to 70 miles on a 85 mile trip, the rpms rev high, power drops off and I limp over to the side of the road with the engine running but little momentum.

Put the truck in neutral, reverse, park and count to 10. Put it back in gear and everything shifts and works normally. No error lights, no speedo problem.

Drop by O'Reilly's and ask them to check it for error codes and they tell me its got two codes. Glow Plug Left Bank low circuit and Glow Plug Right Bank low circuit. I have the codes cleared out.

Next week I make my hauling run again, and same thing happens.

I have cleaned out the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor and line.
I have checked to see if there is excessive soot out the tail pipe.
I have checked the engine for any signs of wear, tear, burnt wires, etc.

Is this a symptom of a battery going bad and not sending enough current through?
Is this a symptom of a bad Glow Plug relay? Am I slowly killing my truck?

My frustration on finding a similar problem is all the search hits I get are related to rough idle or hard to start... neither of which covers my problem. Any ideas?

Still researching this, but I'm thinking it is either
1. Battery going bad
or
2. Transmission Range Sensor

I think the glow plug codes are from the drop in voltage once the transmission drops out and the engine goes into neutral.

Next step is to check the batteries than going to buy the $30 sensor and replace it. Stay tuned.

Back