• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1991 SHORT BED 4x4....Gonna be Littleslims driver.....

bigslim

Reaction score
This is my sons "new" driver. He was 16 in July and we have been working on it since Feb or maybe early March. Its been a fun project and it'll be a good first driver for a total investment of less than $1500.<br><br><br>We got it cheap becuase the roof had some pretty good rust issues. so we decided to cut the old one off.<br><br>
DSC01123.jpg

we also found some rust in the floor that had to be removed.....Wonderful learning opertunity!

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

DSC01130.jpg

DSC01127.jpg

Here's the truck without the roof!!!

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

and why we removed it. Its worse than the picture makes it look.

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

Good to see a young gun in there helping with the work. Looks like a great father son project.
Keep us updated on your progress.

here's a pic of the doner roof. We got from a mom and pop U Pull It for $50.00.

DSC01139.jpg

Body work started and almost complete on the cab after the new roof was welded on. I got in a hurry and didn't take or can't find the pics of the roof install.:(

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

here's a pic of the doner roof. We got from a mom and pop U Pull It for $50.00.

DSC01139.jpg

Body work started and almost complete on the cab after the new roof was welded on. I got in a hurry and didn't take or can't find the pics of the roof install.:(

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

You truck is coming together. It will be a Beauty when finished.

I dont think I've ever seen a short bed 3/4 ton, are those the the stock axles or were they swapped out?

Good eye Diliant! They have been swapped from a 3/4 ton truck. The plan is to eventually put a Cummins in it and have a short bed diesel.

Finally got some paint on it... It didn't turn out too bad for a barn yard paint job!!

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

The old and the new.........

DSC_0033.jpg

Reading and looking at this restoration brings me back
I remember Creed waking me up at 12:00 midnight because he said his truck was all taped off and prep whipped and the floor was watered down and ask me to wake up and go out and shoot it.
It was also red, so I woke up base coated and cleared as he watched and learned, Know he paint's my auto's
He prepped the truck for over two weeks taking the metal studs off that held the lower trim on and a couple area had door dings.
I wish we had digital camera's back then
Great job removing the top and replacing it by the way

Through a set of very unfortunate circumstances we have been able to aquire a cummins motor and drive train. I bought this truck new in the spring of 1993 and drove it untill late 2006 or early 2007 when I sold it to my oldest friends son. It has been with them until this past Monday. The story goes that the steering" locked up" and he was unable to recover the vehicle before hitting a pole.... Judging from the skid marks looks to his Dad and I that he fell asleep went off the road woke up and over corrected, got himself into a skid and the rest is history.

Thank God that no one was seriously hurt in the wreck. Both young men went to the hospital and were treated for a couple of broken bones and got some stitches but they both walked away!!

Plan is to pull the drive train and see whats not broke and put it in the 91 short bed.....

004.jpg

006.jpg

002.jpg

Last edited:
Dang !!! That was a hard hit, I am sure glad they walked away from this wreck.

We finally got the 93 torn apart/butchered! Looks like the both motor mounts broke which most likely saved the block from any damage. The only salvageable sheet metal was the drivers side door,end gate and the rear passenger side wheel opening. Everything else had a bend or buckle in it!!

003-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Cross member is bent... Does anybody happen to know if the gad and diesel cross members are the same?

wow that truck took a knock thats crazy. You and your boy have built one nice truck good luck with the swap its gonna be pretty bad when its all done.

The rear axle is fine, I'm not sure about the front one yet. I won't know until I get it out. I think that it might be OK and I'm keepin my fingers crossed ......

Back