• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1990 D150 questions

spl440

Reaction score
New to trucks, old to Dodges. Just bought 1990 D150 with wring issues. going to Electronic ign and Thermoquad. Question one, what is the stock electric fuel pump pressure? will help me pick out regulator for carb. Who sells good sway bars for these? Nd how to operate and auto o/d trans without the computer? Thanks in advance.
Shawn

Fuel pump pressure should be 4-5 psi. you will need to change to intake for anything but a 2-bl. Transadaptors sells a package that will take care of the trans issues if you desire the automated route otherwise a simple toggle switch will do. I have no idea on the sway bars.
Why do you want to ditch the efi?

Wiring harness a mess, truck has sat for a couple of years, not sure about all the sensors and computer either. Have a couple of different intake manifolds already and a bunch of thermoquads. Have had god luck with my 67 Dart with a 360, LD340 and a Thermoquad, and the FBO ignition system with wide band o2 sensor. Getting around 16-17 MPG and I am a lead foot. Thought the stock fuel pump for a throttle body FI put out more than 5 psi.

Though you were asking for carbureted psi. I think the EFI requires 28 psi. Would not be to hard to install a test port and check it.

5-7 psi for carb, will just get a regulator to drop it down to that level, send the rest back to the tank. And thanks for the info for the overdrive fix. You guys have been a great help. I am sure more to follow. :D

Some D series has no sway bar in the front suspension. I have one of those cheap parts store manual's and, in that section they show a sway bar for the D series. I haven't found one yet most of them use the strut rods just like any of the A, B, C and so on. You would have to do some measuring and, figure out what would work. Hope this helps. I'm going to be doing this change over soon with my 90 W-150. It runs ok, super rich on first start up, tailpipe's all black carboned. I was looking at the schematic and It's pretty vague on what controls what. I mean can you just cut out the whole system or do you need certain circuits to run certain things like gauges, start, charging. Try this for more info: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...2844/converting-tbi-to-carb-in-d150-help.html I found some more in different forums just google 90 dodge TBI to Carb swap or, something to that title.

Electrical is not a problem for myself, do a lot of wiring swaps. When I redid the wiring on my Dart, used one of those aftermarket universal wiring kits from a early Chevy truck and used a Jeep relay box for my headlights and dual Spal fans. Will just find the wires from the 90 truck manual and pull what I do not need.

From what I have looked at just about everything runs thru the computer. Im pretty good with electrics just don't need a month long project. As of now with the stock set up: speedo not working, not sure about O/D can't really tell and, runs super rich. I'm still trying to figure out what is needed for the O/D to work. I know the guys at PATC has a kit to make it work but, If the truck has It already then why spend money on It.

Spedo is still cable driven and does not go threw the computer. The distance sensor will be of no value. If one had an 83 or 84 to pull parts from it would be a simple swap of parts as everything fits. That would only leave the o/d.

TBI usually has 15-18 psi. Jegs sells return style regulators, make sure you put it on the return line not the feed.

Dodge elec OD switches operated 2 ways over the years. Just unplug it at the trans and use an ohm meter, test the leads for open and closed with your switch in the on and off position. I used a switch from Tractor Supply on one.

Spedo is still cable driven and does not go threw the computer. The distance sensor will be of no value. If one had an 83 or 84 to pull parts from it would be a simple swap of parts as everything fits. That would only leave the o/d.
No cable, electric speedo. At least my W150 Is.

Some you have two options retain at least the computer to keep the dash functional or replace it with a non electric unit.
We moved a two wheel drive 92 body and engine to an older four wheel drive chassis about 15 years ago. Thought it still had a cable but apparently we just moved the amplifier or what ever that things called.

I think I might have one. I think I pirated a copy of either mitchells or all data. It would take a bit since I ride a Imac but still doable.

Thanks. Also looking for the left front spindle, if anyone has a good used one.

Still trying to get alldata working. The work around Is being a pain In the azz. They used a dongle key for the exact reason I'm doing using pirated software. I'll get It working because, I need the same thing for my 90 W150. I really need a definitive answer on the OD circuit and what It needs before I do the carb swap. As for the spindle If you were close to Myrtle Beach I know where to get one.

Back